XSim - Crossover Lab for Newbies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone!

As you all know, the process of building a multi-way speaker when you've never done it before seems like a lot to learn, and it is. There are many different measurements and analysis that must come together correctly. We often answer these questions ad-hoc but I always wanted to put together an example that shows most of these steps done and completed into a type of free experimental workbench that lets new DIY builders "get it" at once.

I am also a huge fan of XSim, OmniMic and DATS. I'd like to offer my own contribution in the hope that it helps newbies play with all the "pieces" needed to simulate a crossover. I am particularly astonished at how much working with XSim can help a newbie get a visceral feel for crossover design, and learn how to answer their own questions.

My goal is not to encourage building of this speaker, but to let a new person see all the pieces together and working. To talk about different problems and try them here.

For instance, a recent question in the Multi-Way forums was how to add a second woofer and how that would impact the impedance and crossover. That's the kind of experimental lab work I hope to encourage here. Also, for instance, seeing how distance changes affect crossover and phase design.

I encourage, and hope the experts will contribute and enhance this thread with their own examples if they'd like.

So here is my humble offering, the XSim for the publicly available and discussed LM-1 "True Bookshelf" speaker.

Best,

Erik

Attachments

• LM-1.zip
    22 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.