Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Scimpy: open-source speaker design, impedance measurements, & book (Win/Mac/Linux)
Scimpy: open-source speaker design, impedance measurements, & book (Win/Mac/Linux)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2016, 01:39 PM   #21
maqifrnswa is offline maqifrnswa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I may be making some incorrect assumptions from this window, but…

Speaker parameters should be in a separate database. A design file should allow the saving of multiple alignments. I find it useful to take a design file and then load a different driver to make comparisons or to start a new design file.

I hope that descriptions make sense.

dave
Speaker database would be great - for now it is set up so the user can type in the specs from the data sheet or measure them using the impedance tool, then use that to design.

https://github.com/maqifrnswa/scimpy/issues/6

An eventual speaker database would be perfect, any volunteers? ;-) Maybe an open source database somewhere on the web that scimpy or other software can connect to?

Saving designs is needed, just need to eventually get to it
https://github.com/maqifrnswa/scimpy/issues/7
Old 7th March 2016, 01:44 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I'll also ask what is an ideal sealed box? It is different for each application. We should be able to input a volume, and a curve with relavent information shown. Or input desired Q and have box volume spit out.

dave
By "Ideal" I mean pure mathematical function.

I'll rename it as "Calculate B2 Closed Box" and drop the word "ideal" since it implies preference, when I just meant that it was a "design that matches an ideal second-order butterworth transfer function"
https://github.com/maqifrnswa/scimpy/issues/8

Quote:
We should be able to input a volume, and a curve with relavent information shown. Or input desired Q and have box volume spit out.
That's how it works! Clicking "calculate" just gives you the starting point for box volume & port length/diameter that the user can accept, modify, or just ignore.
Old 7th March 2016, 01:48 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relder View Post
Submitted
thank you! accepted
Old 7th March 2016, 03:59 PM   #24
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maqifrnswa View Post
An eventual speaker database would be perfect, any volunteers? ;-) Maybe an open source database somewhere on the web that scimpy or other software can connect to?
I think a database of published parameters is pointless. You can find many freeware databases full of useless published information. A way to save measurements and projects to files for sharing is all that is needed.
Old 7th March 2016, 06:13 PM   #25
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
for now it is set up so the user can type in the specs from the data sheet or measure them using the impedance tool, then use that to design.
I have no problems with the user making their own database, but there needs to be a database to enter them into … MacSpeakerz came with one, i haven't used a single one of the drivers provided. I have added hundreds of drivers of my own.

dave
Old 7th March 2016, 09:58 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
I think a database of published parameters is pointless. You can find many freeware databases full of useless published information. A way to save measurements and projects to files for sharing is all that is needed.
Thank you Ron and Planet.

It looks like a speaker edit tool is needed. You'd enter (or load or measure) your parameters there, then it will be saved in a "speaker database file" which is a json text file. In the Speaker Model tool you select the speaker you want, and then edit the box. The project can be saved in a "design database" (another json text file). The design will also hold all the speaker parameters, in case the user changes or removes a speaker from the database (and also so you can share whole design databases as well as individual designs)

TODO:
  1. Code documentation and clean up
  2. Finish QB3 alignment so there is at least one completed vented box alignment (QB3-B3-C4)
  3. Place all these widgets and figures in to a single application. Right now there are a bunch of separate tools that open individually. I think we'll have to move to a single UI with toolbars and each tool in a dock.

I think there will be a bit of refactoring going on to implement all this. Git is generally good when lots of changes are going on, but still keep a heads up with the changes. If your changes are incompatible just keep working, we can do a git merge to get them all to line up later.

EDIT:
Also, saving/loading FRD/ZMA files is a must

Last edited by maqifrnswa; 7th March 2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 7th March 2016, 11:12 PM   #27
relder is offline relder  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to relder
Quote:
EDIT:
Also, saving/loading FRD/ZMA files is a must
Numpy has helpers for importing data from text:
HTML Code:
file_data = np.genfromtxt(fname, delimiter="   ", usecols=(0,1))
The above imports frd data from SoundEasy files anyway (minus phase, since I didn't care about that, but you could add that back in).
Old 7th March 2016, 11:29 PM   #28
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

If it helps, here's some equations for QB3, C4, SC4 for the single damped (only leakage term) case
These are from an equation solver, so not quite ready for use

/QB3
AA1=0
AA2=0
/QB3
/C4-SC4
Y=(k^4+6*k^2+1)/8
a1=(1-(1-k^2)/(2*sqrt(2)))*a3/sqrt(Y)
a2=(1+k^2*(1+sqrt(2)))/sqrt(Y)
a3=k*sqrt(4+2*sqrt(2))/sqrt(sqrt(Y))
/C4-SC4

H=Fb/Fs
alpha=Vas/Vb
/common equations
a1=(Ql+h*Qts)/(sqrt(h)*Ql*Qts)
a2=(h+(alpha+1+h^2)*Ql*Qts)/(h*Ql*Qts)
a3=(h*Ql+Qts)/(sqrt(h)*Ql*Qts)
AA1=a1^2-2*a2
AA2=a2^2+2-2*a1*a3
AA3=a3^2-2*a2
/common equations
Old 7th March 2016, 11:29 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relder View Post
Numpy has helpers for importing data from text:
HTML Code:
file_data = np.genfromtxt(fname, delimiter="   ", usecols=(0,1))
The above imports frd data from SoundEasy files anyway (minus phase, since I didn't care about that, but you could add that back in).
thank you! that is better than I was going to use, and they have a "comments" argument built in to the function so we can filter out the "*"s. Also ndarray.tofile to save since they are already in numpy arrays.
Old 7th March 2016, 11:42 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
If it helps, here's some equations for QB3, C4, SC4 for the single damped (only leakage term) case
These are from an equation solver, so not quite ready for use

/QB3
AA1=0
AA2=0
/QB3
/C4-SC4
Y=(k^4+6*k^2+1)/8
a1=(1-(1-k^2)/(2*sqrt(2)))*a3/sqrt(Y)
a2=(1+k^2*(1+sqrt(2)))/sqrt(Y)
a3=k*sqrt(4+2*sqrt(2))/sqrt(sqrt(Y))
/C4-SC4

H=Fb/Fs
alpha=Vas/Vb
/common equations
a1=(Ql+h*Qts)/(sqrt(h)*Ql*Qts)
a2=(h+(alpha+1+h^2)*Ql*Qts)/(h*Ql*Qts)
a3=(h*Ql+Qts)/(sqrt(h)*Ql*Qts)
AA1=a1^2-2*a2
AA2=a2^2+2-2*a1*a3
AA3=a3^2-2*a2
/common equations
Thank you! saves me some time!

Scimpy: open-source speaker design, impedance measurements, & book (Win/Mac/Linux)Hide this!Advertise here!