The Gedlee Metric Demystified

Any comments, Earl?

Stephen

Yes, but I am afraid that they will be complex and hard to understand. First, you are correct in that the Gm is not well suited to nonlinearities like hysteresis. Fortunately we don't see that kind of nonlinearity very often. But your comment:

"For systems with dynamic nonlinearity, on the other hand, there is more than one possible instantaneous output value for a given instantaneous input value, and the necessary pattern of odd and even harmonics in quadrature does not exist. A system with hysteresis is an example of a system with dynamic nonlinearity."

is not quite accurate IMO.

In a full blown nonlinear analysis, the timing of a signal is important and two signals with different timings (or phasing) can yield two different results even if the spectra of the two signals is the same. For example two impulses will have different nonlinear outputs in a nonlinear system depending on the time difference between them. Or a phase difference between two sinusoids. This is what is meant by "dynamic nonlinearity" - the outputs depend on the temporal dynamics of the signals. But your claim that "there is more than one possible instantaneous output value for a given instantaneous input value" I don't think is true. To me this statement says that a single nonlinear system can have two different outputs for a single signal - that's not possible.

"Dynamic nonlinearity" is most easily thought of as a frequency dependent nonlinearity, but this too is not exactly correct, especially for highly nonlinear systems. I discuss this in the papers, how we pretty much have to simplify our analysis by assuming that the underlying systems are quasi-linear, as virtually any audio system is going to be. Otherwise, we do have consider things like spectrum/phase of the signal as the nonlinear aspects will depend on these. But, for a quasi-linear system the frequency aspects basically uncouple themselves from each other, meaning that I can look at the nonlinearity at a single frequency independent of other frequencies nonlinearities. For highly nonlinear systems, I cannot do that and this is an essential simplification of quasi-linear systems.

This means that the technique being used of measuring Gm at one frequency and then moving to the next is adequate as long as the nonlinearity remains small. The more linear the system, the better this approximation becomes.

Hi Stephen

I am not quite sure what you mean by "static/dynamic nonlinearity".

I simply measured the transfer function using sine test signals at different frequencies and amplitudes. Since the harmonics depend on test frequency and level, the GedLee metric also shows the same dependency of test frequency and level.
I answered this above and also indicated that the technique you are using is adequate under the circumstances, but not so in the completely general case.

This study goes a ways to explaining the kind of amplifier I like to build. That is those that will not produce higher orders of HD. There are some people that accuse the genre of producing a larger amount of lower orders.. but I am careful to minimise these at every turn. I feel vindicated by this study.

Your statement seems to be ambiguous, but here is what I believe is the case (and what I hope that you meant): Lower orders of nonlinearity are not very audible, but higher orders are, hence we must minimize the higher orders, while the lower orders are pretty benign.

AllenB, it's no big news that higher order harmonics are more "disturbing to the ear" than lower harmonics. This has been known for many decades. The reason is that low harmonics are masked by the fundamental during sound perception in the ear, whereas higher harmonics are not. This is simply due the acoustical/mechanical workings of the ear (just google for it, you'll find good texts about this).

The question is what kind of weighting should be applied to judge "how bad" higher harmonics are. The GedLee metric is just one of many answers to that question.

The Gm is now almost two decades old and it was NOT common knowledge that higher orders of nonlinearity produce more audible distortion as you allude to. (Please don't confuse "higher Harmonics" with "higher orders of nonlinearity," they are not the same things, related yes, but not equivalent.) And if there are "many answers to that question" then you would have to show me where they are, because I don't know of any others.

Since our papers there has been a lot of talk about how one might also approach the problem, but no one, to my knowledge has actually proven that they are as good as or better than Gm. Howard discussed how simply weighting the harmonics produced "similar" results, but never showed what that actually meant in practice - "not nearly as good", "just as good", "better"? He just hypothesized about how these different techniques might be comparable, but never did such a comparison.

The Gm is now almost two decades old and it was NOT common knowledge that higher orders of nonlinearity produce more audible distortion as you allude to...

...Since our papers there has been a lot of talk about how one might also approach the problem, but no one, to my knowledge has actually proven that they are as good as or better than Gm. Howard discussed how simply weighting the harmonics produced "similar" results, but never showed what that actually meant in practice - "not nearly as good", "just as good", "better"? He just hypothesized about how these different techniques might be comparable, but never did such a comparison.

Don't get me wrong! I am not at all saying that there are other metrics that have been tested in scientific terms to be "not nearly as good", "just as good" or "better". My point was simply that some guys did come up a long time ago with the concept of weighting the different harmonics in different ways in their approaches of assessing "sound quality". As far as I can tell, much of this was based on personal opinions or ideas, without proper controlled scientific experiments to assess the validity of these ideas. Here's one such example (yes, that's a bit of a mumbo-jumbo-story-telling thing, not strict science):

You may find in his book:

"Initiation aux amplis a tubes", Jean Hiraga, 1990,
2nd edition, 152 p., (ISSN 0753-7409)

some results he obtained...

...On the basis of well done listening tests (see intro.) Hiraga and
others have point out that the best sounding amps were those
possessing such regular slope of the distortion spectrum . If you
take their distortion spectrum (level in dB versus log(frequency) you
are able to draw a straigth line though the top of the peaks for the
whole set of harmonics (this should be true at every output level
until clipping). For the best amplifiers such a line possess a slope
between -18 and -24 dB by octave...

That said I do like the Gm metric! It is straight-forward to determine (assuming one can determine the levels and phase of harmonic distortion), it is just a plain number without too many ifs and buts, and the underlying concepts make sense to me.

Correct, lot's of people proposed things and recognized the problems with THD, but nobody did anything concrete about it, just hypothesized about the problems. That's why nothing ever took hold. I think that Gm, or something like it, may have taken hold had we not learned along the way how insignificant nonlinear distortion actually was. It happened to me. I was obsessed with linearity, developing accurate ways to quantify it, only to find out that subjectively nonlinearity (in loudspeakers) didn't matter very much! It was, perhaps, disappointing, but a good scientist takes his results and moves on from there. Had I not moved on I would never have found what I believe to be the keys to good sound quality. Good data doesn't always support ones in-grained biases.

These days, there is absolutely no problem to get, in a well engineered and designed amplifier, vanishing low values of non-linear distortions of all kinds, orders below threshold of audibility. CCIF IMD, DIN IMD, multitone IMD, HD, HD vs. freq, HD vs. amplitude, you name it. Thus, the discussion about distortion metrics and spectral components importance becomes pointless, at least for amplifiers, both pre and power amps. Only tube designs and some exotic, usually overpriced so-called high-end designs bring considerable distortion level, often higher than that of the speaker. However, such designs are colorizers, not the devices intended for true reproduction of the recorded signals.

Pavel

It's good to see someone who has the right perspective on this issue, or should I say non-issue.

Many people do not understand why a manufacturer would go out of there way to make their products "sound different". It seems obvious when its said that way - they want to differentiate them from in the market. To me, as audio products get better and better they should all start to sound the same with ever smaller variations in their perception. From a marketing perspective this would be a catastrophe.

But your comment:

"For systems with dynamic nonlinearity, on the other hand, there is more than one possible instantaneous output value for a given instantaneous input value, and the necessary pattern of odd and even harmonics in quadrature does not exist. A system with hysteresis is an example of a system with dynamic nonlinearity."

is not quite accurate IMO.

In a full blown nonlinear analysis, the timing of a signal is important and two signals with different timings (or phasing) can yield two different results even if the spectra of the two signals is the same. For example two impulses will have different nonlinear outputs in a nonlinear system depending on the time difference between them. Or a phase difference between two sinusoids. This is what is meant by "dynamic nonlinearity" - the outputs depend on the temporal dynamics of the signals. But your claim that "there is more than one possible instantaneous output value for a given instantaneous input value" I don't think is true. To me this statement says that a single nonlinear system can have two different outputs for a single signal - that's not possible.

(Stress in bold added by myself.)

Earl, I hate to disagree with you (and it may only be a semantic matter), but for systems with a dynamic transfer function, it is possible for an instantaneous input value to have more than one possible instantaneous output value.

This is probably best illustrated with a simple example.

1) Static transfer function

Take a system with a sine input and the following output (expressed in sines):

1.PNG

The odd and even harmonics are, of course, in quadrature.

We can plot the instantaneous input values against the instantaneous output values to obtain a visual representation of the transfer function T(x). Normalised so that it extends from (-1, -1) to (1, 1) T(x) looks like this:

2.PNG

The plot of T(x) is a clear visual representation of the nonlinearity of this system, and it is clear that for every instantaneous value of the input, the output has only one possible value.

There is more than one way to represent T(x) as an expression. It needs to be an expression that is amenable to differentiation, and a simple polynomial would do the trick. As an alternative, a trigonometric expression of T(x) can be derived from the expression for the output:

3.PNG

Happily – and very conveniently – phase has vanished from this expression because the odd and even harmonics are in quadrature.

The coefficients Cn in this example are:
c0 = 0.181818182
c1 = 0.909090909
c2 = 0.181818182
c3 = -0.090909091

T(x) expressed in this way is amenable to differentiation, and it can now be plugged into the expression for Gm. (If anyone is interested to see how T(x) is derived, there is an exposition in the spreadsheet linked to in my first post.)

2) Dynamic transfer function

This is the same example, but with the harmonics no longer in quadrature. One possible realisation is:

4.PNG

The FFT spectrum and THD are exactly the same as before. However, the plot of the normalised transfer function T(x) now looks like this:

5.PNG

We now have a situation where the instantaneous value of the output depends on whether the input is ascending or descending. This means that, except for the extremes, there is more than one possible instantaneous output value for a given instantaneous input value (there are two in this instance).

I know of no way to represent this as an expression that is amenable to differentiation (twice) and which could therefore be plugged into the expression for Gm.

Appendix: for the second example (dynamic nonlinearity), the normalised output y(t)

6.PNG

has the coefficients:

B0= 0.17784346
B1= 0.957217167
B2= 0.191443433
B3= 0.095721717

Let's define the time for a complete input cycle as 2.pi. Taking just one possible instantaneous input value, and normalising the output value, numerical solutions of y(t) show:

At t=pi/4, x(t)=0.707, y(t)=0.922

At t=3.pi/4, x(t)=0.707, y(t)=0.787

Thus we have two different instantaneous output values for the same instantaneous input value.

Stephen

I will have to look this over carefully, but right off the bat I would question if an output from a nonlinear system could ever have its harmonics not in quadrature (as your example requires.) This could be physically impossible. It seems to me that harmonic structures that do not yield single values transfer characteristics may not be physically possible since they do result in multi-valued functions and hence multi-valued outputs, which, it seems to me, must violate some physical principle.

Has any ever seen this happen in reality? Where one gets different outputs for the same input in different experiments on the same nonlinear system. Seems impossible to me.

I know that different initial conditions in a nonlinear system will react to the same stimulus in different ways, but then this is either not the same system or the same input.

Just to be sure: by "in quadrature" you mean that harmonics occur ONLY at 90 deg phase relative to the fundamental?

I would be surprised if this was always the case in real World DUTs.

It is not. In a real World DUTs, you may find all kinds of phase shifts of individual harmonic components of the non-linear distortion complex spectrum. The real DUT non-linearity is not only level dependent, but also frequency dependent, which makes the usual polynomial approximation not precise enough.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ok, I looked at your website and found your presentation slides "The Perception of Distortion". This has some interesting comments and some charts comparing THD, IMD and Gm vs. subjective perceived distortion. While the THD and IMD data do not show any (substantial) correlation, the Gm metric does (at least in this dataset), and it nicely illustrates the answer to my original question. I attached a copy of this chart so that I (and others) may be able to find it again.
Well if Gm was inaudible below 3 as the Gm inventor suggests, why is there still some/same correlation at Gm=1? I cant ses how that scart answered your question about what level of Gm is inaudible.

//

Just to be sure: by "in quadrature" you mean that harmonics occur ONLY at 90 deg phase relative to the fundamental?

For a static transfer function, the even harmonics (2f, 4f, 6f etc) need to have a phase of +/- 90 degrees relative to the fundamental, and the odd harmonics (3f, 5f, 7f etc) need to have a phase of 0 degrees or 180 degrees relative to the fundamental.

The odd harmonics (including the fundamental) can be said to be in quadrature to the even harmonics.

Since sine(wt + pi/2) = cos(wt), we could regard the output as being a series of alternating sines and cosines (as pi/2 = 90 degrees).

I would be surprised if this was always the case in real World DUTs.

Yes, I agree, though I suspect that the deviation from the ideal static case is usually small.

Stephen

For a static transfer function, the even harmonics (2f, 4f, 6f etc) need to have a phase of +/- 90 degrees relative to the fundamental, and the odd harmonics (3f, 5f, 7f etc) need to have a phase of 0 degrees or 180 degrees relative to the fundamental.
Yes, I agree, though I suspect that the deviation from the ideal static case is usually small.

Stephen

I do not think so. An example of a "real thing" is here

Digital Distortion Compensation for Measurement Setup

You can also find phase of distortion components when you work with LTSpice, which is able to calculate phases of distortion components.

It is not. In a real World DUTs, you may find all kinds of phase shifts of individual harmonic components of the non-linear distortion complex spectrum. The real DUT non-linearity is not only level dependent, but also frequency dependent, which makes the usual polynomial approximation not precise enough.

The "nonlinearity" is not "level dependent" since it defines the level dependence. It can be "frequency dependent" that is discussed in the paper. In theory the harmonics cannot be "all kinds of phase shifts" due to the nonlinearity, but there can be phase shifts in the acoustic signal due to different frequency and phase dependent paths after the nonlinearity.

Stephen

I think that this would be the point that I agree with. Dynamic nonlinearities, like hysteresis, are going to be smaller than the static nonlinearities, which are in themselves small quantities (loudspeakers are very nearly linear devices or they would be unlistenable.)

In theory the harmonics cannot be "all kinds of phase shifts" due to the nonlinearity, but there can be phase shifts in the acoustic signal due to different frequency and phase dependent paths after the nonlinearity.

I am not speaking about acoustic signals, but electronic circuits. And you can both measure and simulate phase angles of the distortion components and they are definitely not only 90° or 180°. Maybe in theoretical oversimplification yes, but not in the real world. The theory is only that good as close it approaches the reality, no more.

I do not think so. An example of a "real thing" is here

Digital Distortion Compensation for Measurement Setup

You can also find phase of distortion components when you work with LTSpice, which is able to calculate phases of distortion components.

That does not look like "the real thing" to me since it is a simulation. We have seen how some transfer characteristics (polynomials) can be multivalued, but that does not mean that these will be commonplace in real systems designed to be linear.