Jal language help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok is a working hex!
Thanks rsavas:)
Some pictures
1&2&4 the development board(Elektor published)
3)a screen capture during procedure
5)the welcome message
6)preamplifier control board(Elektor published)
7)preamplifier power supply
8)preamplifier inp.selector
9)development board & ICD2 clone(Elektor published)
I must report that i.c programmer didn't working good under WinXP

Attachments

• DSC08918.JPG
    DSC08918.JPG
    567.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC08933.JPG
    DSC08933.JPG
    601.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC08931.JPG
    DSC08931.JPG
    589.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC08930.JPG
    DSC08930.JPG
    528.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC08929.JPG
    DSC08929.JPG
    604.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC08927.JPG
    DSC08927.JPG
    533.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC08919.JPG
    DSC08919.JPG
    559.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC08916.JPG
    DSC08916.JPG
    540.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC08912.JPG
    DSC08912.JPG
    573.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
first download & installed the correct compiler version from
JAL compiler - Browse /jal-win32/0.4.60 at SourceForge.net

then i edited the init_vv.jal file(see attached) to change the start up lcd display message string, to what you wanted,
then i edited the batch file (jal.bat)to point to the directory where i installed the jal compiler as so,

@ECHO OFF
c:\sw\jal-0.4.60.win32\jal -sc:\sw\jal-0.4.60.win32\lib -ssetup %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %8 %9 _vv.jal

then from the dos command line prompt,
Start -> run -> type "cmd" , to get the dos command line prompt app
c:\
i ran the batch file from the directory where the edited source file(s) reside.
c:> cd c:\project\Hi-End_pre-amp\SW\v1.1-copy
c:> .\jal.bat

Attachments

• init_vv_jal.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 44
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If it isn't big effort for you , some screen schots will be useful to see how this(programming) done:)

It will be difficult to get some understanding just from screen shots, you need some residual knowledge.
For instance, that a compiler can take a collection of source files (of which init_vv is one) and put them all together in a program and convert the high-level statements (see again init_vv as an example) into a bunch of hex instructions that the processor understands.

You don't need to understand those, but you DO need to know what statements the compiler understands and what the effect is. Luckily, a compiler language is almost readable while a hex file definitely is not!

So if you are serious about this, clean your agenda for the next few weeks and get a reference manual for JAL :)
And, of course, no compiler or assembler will teach you programming. Programming means you develop some plan of what you want to do, like read in the changes of a rotary encoder for instance, and display the values on an LCD. Then, you consult the compiler manual to see what statements are available (like reading an encoder and displaying numbers) and construct your program in terms of compiler statements. Then the compiler does the rest.

Jan

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thx Jan for helping us out :)
good documentation is so much help.

now once we have the formalities in order, what is the end goal?
1) just to understand the programming/compiler process?
2) add,modify,fix a bug in the existing code?

Hah! Fixing a bug in someone else's program is extremely difficult because you must not only understand the whole language/syntax etc but also must get into the head of whoever wrote the program - so many ways to skin a cat and all that.
Many times it is faster just to write your own program!

And, what the goal is - that's for you to set...

Jan

actually i studied the code thoroughly, it is very well written code. except the rc5 stuff i got a bit lost there. i did not do any rc5 testing either,
i wonder if the rc5 decoder works?
anyone test it out?
i used very little of the jal code when designed my own stereo, but i did switch over to xmega and bascom, so that sort of does a reset in your code.
but you are correct, fixing someone else's code is a challenge.

But of course, learning and studying to do something yourself is sooo 20th century.
what century are we in again? :)
knowing assembler is just as important, now, as ever! for me at least.
To program any mcu effectively, you have to know the config/control registers/bits functions, in depth, you know that, which is basically at the asm level, since you are are doing set, clear, testing at the bit level. it is like writing code and not knowing boolean algebra.
the compiler can allow you a higher level of abstraction, but you still need to have the knowledge, of the nuts and bolts too.
Ardunio platform is a good example. some like it, i do not like it.

Thanks guys ,i don't want to learn programing ,this is difficult for me:)
I just want to learn making some changes and the compiler use.
I have downloaded the old version jal and i will try to learn the way to do.
If the question is about the RC5 code i can say that is functional. In any case there is a newer version 1.1 with RC5 improvements.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• jal .4.JPG
    jal .4.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hi thimios, any way I can a bit more clarification on how to do this, please? :)

I already built this preamp, loaded hex into 18F452, it works excellent, but now I wanted to add tube buffer after PGA chip, so purpose is the same, I want to edit starting welcome message, and add a bit more time for blinking LED, say 45 seconds since it will be startup time for heating tubes.
I downloaded source files (v1.1) from Ben's website: ben hinrichs - dh3ben
Then, tried to do like in post #26, but I can not find the way to install compiler (?????), then can't find nowhere jal.bat
And then all the rest goes failing.
I have tried this for almost entire day today and without success... Tried JAL 2.0 with graphic intergace, but it provides error just like rsavas explained in post #15
How did you get to do this? I know this may be old thread, but hoing you can help.
Thanks and happy holidays!

Hi thimios, any way I can a bit more clarification on how to do this, please? :)

I already built this preamp, loaded hex into 18F452, it works excellent, but now I wanted to add tube buffer after PGA chip, so purpose is the same, I want to edit starting welcome message, and add a bit more time for blinking LED, say 45 seconds since it will be startup time for heating tubes.
I downloaded source files (v1.1) from Ben's website: ben hinrichs - dh3ben
Then, tried to do like in post #26, but I can not find the way to install compiler (?????), then can't find nowhere jal.bat
And then all the rest goes failing.
I have tried this for almost entire day today and without success... Tried JAL 2.0 with graphic intergace, but it provides error just like rsavas explained in post #15
How did you get to do this? I know this may be old thread, but hoing you can help.
Thanks and happy holidays!
Everything that I know was posted here.
You need the old version of Jal on your hard drive then you must edit and save the new path.
Sorry I can't help more.
I hope someone having better knowledge can help.
Ask rsavas

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.