Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I sometimes compare different Spice programs by running them in batch mode and get a RAW file. I click on them with my mouse. LTspice opens, but there is no picture. An additional command appears on the top left. Do a restore and after the PLOT window appears add the desired signal.
View attachment 1297201
Funny thing is, when I right click, then select Open With, select LTspice, noting happens.
If I open a .raw file from within LTspice, it opens but ONLY the last generated .raw!
None of the earlier ones open. Weird.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Try saving the Plot Settings first, save them under the same name as the .asc and then save the sim and all must be in the same folder. You should end up with the .asc, the .raw, the .plt and the .net file all together in the same place.
I can't save it in the same folder because my whole life is on OneDrive and .raw is forbidden in OneDrive ...

Jan

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I remember reading somewhere (it might even have been in the LT help files) that LT did not play nicely with OneDrive because of all the zillions of small files. That might be different now with the latest version because that saves everything to the Temp folder which is not (afaik) backed up by OneDrive.
except for all the red crosses next to the filenames

Hehe :smash:

I just ran LTXVII and did the "update" (or was it upgrade?) window option, and it offered to upgrade to LTspice 24, so (living dangerously) I let it. It took a few minutes (2 to 10? I was doing other stuff), and ran fine with loading and running simulation on a schematic file from LTXVII. But now it's got different, presumably "new and improved" icons and such, so I'll have to learn what they do. I've loaded Qspice in the last year and learned a little of it, but didn't quite convert over, having learned LTspice decades ago.

FWIW I'm now running LTspice 24.0.11.

@jan.didden , I would rather think that the people behind LTspice have finally figured out that they have many users that have lived with LTspice for 25 years and don't want to loose them for silly reasons like changed icons and keyboard shortcuts, besides basic compatibility of operation (which now finally they managed to implement, after years of intermediate crap versions).

Not sure if I'm getting your point, my OneDrive has always play nice with my raw files, and I have 1752 pcs of them

1713253523603.png

I'm a long time user of LTSpice, mostly for very simple tube circuits and rarely for solid state.

I'm currently using LTSpice IV because I didn't like certain aspects of the immediate follow-up version at all.

Now, in the context of my very simple usage, three or four versions later I'm missing some important functionality from the newer versions?
Thanks
JJT