XSim free crossover designer

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I did some thinking and I realized that the offset includes the angle, so for getting the offset on the baffle, I need to do some math. However, this still does not explain why with larger distance I get larger offset. If I am correct, it should be actually less because the angle is narrower.

Edit: It actually behaves as I expected:) I think I mixed up the numbers. Next time I will measure on the tweeter axis and do the math better. The good news is that the horn is confirmed too short and I can make a deeper one next time.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this is still available? I gust tried to do a download and it won't even take me to the page.

I just clicked the link to XSim ( found in Bills signature ) and that link opened a download window waiting for me to download the XSim.exe file.

Therefore, the link works as expected.

Perhaps your computers security settings are preventing this download window from opening.

:)

Carl and woody, you can get great help here to use this magnificent software, however first there are a few things you need to do.

As I understand speaker crossover design you need to get your drivers in your enclosures and measure the individual driver frequency response and impedance. You also need to measure the combined frequency response of your drivers.

Once you have your zma and frd files the crossover magic can begin!

So for an open baffle I have to measure frd and zma with the drivers already placed in the baffle? Maybe is a stupid question but I never used this kind of software...

I noticed that if I apply a low (~200 Hz) low pass on a woofer - it's low end sensitivity rises. Is that a normal phenomenon or a bug?

Se screenshot. Blue driver is with a 200 Hz low pass, and red is unfiltered.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 19.19.52.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 19.19.52.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 323
Nope, that's real. The inductor and capacitor form a series resonant circuit (narrow band impedance transformer), making the voltage at their connection higher than the power amp's voltage, so more power is applied to the speaker near the resonant frequency. The tradeoffs are (1) it makes the load impedance drop at the resonance and (2) it only works over a small frequency range and drops the level at most other frequencies.

There's a similar trick you can do with some woofers where you can feed them through a large series capacitor. The cap resonates with the inductive part of the woofer's impedance and pushes a boost into the response at resonance, similar to venting a box.
attachment.php

(There are some bugs in XSim 3D, but that's not one of them :) )

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    313.9 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:
No...

This is not an enclosure simulation where you key in the driver's parameters and get a box.

This is for a crossover simulation, so you need the frequency response and the impedance of the drivers to correctly come up with an electrical passive filter between the two.

Either Google for more information, or, if this is too hard, go with a Full Range driver (no XO) or build a kit with XO components already calculated for you.

It's not rocket science, but you need to understand the concepts, at least.

How do I simply input my driver parameters?
Not so straight forward as I can see so far.
Shouldn't need to be a programmer to use your software.
Sure hope I'm missing something.
Thank you,
The best Ron

For sure some basic electronics knowledge is required to use this software. It is not for beginners. That being said do some online basic electronics courses and you can probably figure out how to use it. Read about crossover design and theory. Use a few simple crossover design packages to model basic first, second order crossovers to get a feel for what each type of component does. If you know all this my apologies.
But speaker driver parameters are not sufficient to characterize the drivers. You need frequency response curves and impedance curves saved in the correct formats. Easy if they are available online but hard if you have to create them.
This software took my crossovers to another level.