Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

XSim free crossover designer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2021, 08:14 PM   #941
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question: Is there a donation page?

My passive speakers have been aided hugely by this software, and since I use them in professional environments (or did, before events were cancelled by the virus), it'd be great to give something back.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 28th January 2021, 08:37 PM   #942
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlr View Post
Look at the off-axis. On-axis will probably be worst for a coaxial. A smoother off-axis design point may be warranted. A small degree off-axis may be the best listening position.

Dave
Yes. If the dip is not typical of the wider behaviour, then it's best not corrected otherwise your room will see a peak. Better to go with the acoustic flow and find the axis (to listen to) which is better representative of the bigger picture.
Old 29th January 2021, 05:11 AM   #943
pawelp is offline pawelp  Poland
diyAudio Member

I checked again and it seems the only way an RLC can boost locally an FR is by reducing the overall efficiency. I attached a simple simulation, if R1 is removed the effect of 9k bump disappears.
It is not about if I finally use this boost in my design I just want to clear my knowledge and what is possible.
Can someone suggest what circuit should be used to achieve a boost in FR without reducing the overall efficiency ?
Attached Images
File Type: png RLC_boost.PNG (43.0 KB, 150 views)
Attached Files
File Type: dxo PP_RLC_boost.dxo (4.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 29th January 2021, 05:10 PM   #944
wgh52 is offline wgh52  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello Pawel,

NO! Passive networks can only "burn" (parts of) the power fed in by the power amp (that's part of what "passive" means). Passive networks can NOT add power to a signal (an amp does this!), so they will always effectively reduce efficiency! ...more or less...

Hoping this is clear enough,
Winfried
Old 29th January 2021, 07:01 PM   #945
woody is offline woody
diyAudio Member

I have a speaker that uses a 25uf cap and 4 mh inductor for a full range driver crossed over at 400hz but this crossover assumes the amp has a rather high damping factor. But I may want to use an amp with a 8 ohm output impedance. No I am not talking about the 8 ohm tap on a tube amp but a SIT amp like is talked about on the Pass forum. Is there an easy way to calculate the new values I need without many trial and error substitutions in xsim ?
Old 29th January 2021, 08:20 PM   #946
diyAudio Moderator

woody, here is one method you might use. The first screenshot compares two default drivers, one has 8 ohms added in series and has the component values adjusted to restore the crossover point. In the second screenshot I increased the level of one driver, just to show that they match.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2021-01-30 08-11-03.png (31.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: png Screenshot from 2021-01-30 08-10-43.png (30.1 KB, 135 views)
Old 29th January 2021, 08:29 PM   #947
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgh52 View Post
...more or less...
Yes. Resonance can be used to increase output in some cases. Here I have taken two default (70dB) drivers and increased the output of one by 5dB, over two octaves. More power is drawn from the amp and the impedance is lower.

This kind of approach can also be used to reduce or increase the knee of a low or high pass filter to counter the response of the driver.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2021-01-30 07-54-07.png (22.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 29th January 2021, 09:13 PM   #948
woody is offline woody
diyAudio Member

AllenB , thank you for working that out for me and at the same time showing me how you did it. Really I am surprised that more attention isn't played to how amplifier impedance can affect the crossover behavior.
Old 29th January 2021, 09:58 PM   #949
diyAudio Moderator

You're welcome. It's probably obvious but I wanted to point out that when working on a whole crossover you can put the resistance straight after the amp.

It is important to do this because the parts of the crossover begin to interact. Eg: as the driving signal divides between the woofer circuit and the source impedance, the signal presented to the tweeter circuit changes because they are connected to the same point.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2021-01-30 09-51-17.png (8.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 2nd February 2021, 03:28 AM   #950
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Question: Is there a donation page?

My passive speakers have been aided hugely by this software, and since I use them in professional environments (or did, before events were cancelled by the virus), it'd be great to give something back.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris,

Thanks. Anyone wants to donate, do it to the Alzheimer's Association. (My wife doesn't have ALZ, but a similar illness. Closest organization I know of).
Alzheimer's Association | Donate to Fight Alzheimer's Disease

XSim free crossover designerHide this!Advertise here!