Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

XSim free crossover designer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2019, 11:37 PM   #681
EarlK is offline EarlK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
EarlK, did you forget the attachment?
Hopefully it's there now!

I think it "timed-out" and vacated the premises ( since I take so long to create a post ).

Old 6th November 2019, 01:24 AM   #682
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
Everything in Xsim is limited to 20kHz, no calculations or effects included beyond that (other than tails when doing Hilbert phase derivations).
Hi Bill,

Thank you.

I wish there is a feature in which one can input a real world sound clip waveform and simulate with the given xovers and drivers to see how the output would compare to the input. To me, although the step and impulse responses are very helpful, they are a bit theoretical and it's hard to translate them into real world affects of the real world sound.
Old 6th November 2019, 02:16 AM   #683
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2 View Post
Hi Bill,

Thank you.

I wish there is a feature in which one can input a real world sound clip waveform and simulate with the given xovers and drivers to see how the output would compare to the input. To me, although the step and impulse responses are very helpful, they are a bit theoretical and it's hard to translate them into real world affects of the real world sound.
Not 100% shure but will mean that should be doable for the design axis curve used in Xsim

1. In Xsim export each seperate bandpass as frd file.
2. Import each bandpass frd file per a dedicated transducer driver over in free VituixCad and let them sum with direct parallel wires without any XO parts. Should probably work without using active power amp in XO tab, else add one of those per transducer and if you need to delay any bandpass it can be set per power amp.
3. SPL chart should now look as Xsim did, then push "View" menu and then "Impulse response", fill in settings so rate is same as your audio test tracks will be and export this new IR convolution file.
4. Use a player as Jriver or Foobar to load the IR convolution file and tick it on and off to hear the difference while test track is playing, probably its best procedure to use head phones for listening test because they normal XO-less and then stay clear off add more XO point excess phase on top of what XO summing excess phase is within the convolution file.
Old 6th November 2019, 03:02 AM   #684
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRTT View Post
Not 100% shure but will mean that should be doable for the design axis curve used in Xsim

1. In Xsim export each seperate bandpass as frd file.
2. Import each bandpass frd file per a dedicated transducer driver over in free VituixCad and let them sum with direct parallel wires without any XO parts. Should probably work without using active power amp in XO tab, else add one of those per transducer and if you need to delay any bandpass it can be set per power amp.
3. SPL chart should now look as Xsim did, then push "View" menu and then "Impulse response", fill in settings so rate is same as your audio test tracks will be and export this new IR convolution file.
4. Use a player as Jriver or Foobar to load the IR convolution file and tick it on and off to hear the difference while test track is playing, probably its best procedure to use head phones for listening test because they normal XO-less and then stay clear off add more XO point excess phase on top of what XO summing excess phase is within the convolution file.
Thank you. Sounds very intriguing. I'll sure to give it a try.
Old 6th November 2019, 05:33 AM   #685
carlthess40 is offline carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

Default XSim free crossover designer

If I give someone all the specs to the drivers and box size and ports. Could someone make up a crossover design for me?
I have all the specs for the Dayton 8 woofers and seas tweeter and box size and ports being used. I have a 2way Electronic crossover for it that the person built for these but Id rather use passive crossover

Last edited by carlthess40; 6th November 2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 7th November 2019, 06:11 PM   #686
woody is online now woody
diyAudio Member

I am building Marten King's open baffel a 2 way using the FF85WK a 8 ohm driver with a RE of 7.2 . with a high pass xover using a 25uf cap and 4mh inductor. I need to know if this would work with an amp with a 4 ohm output impedience. I downloaded the XSim program but can't find the files needed to plug into it. Do one of you experts have a down and dirty way to find out how much that 4 ohm output resistance would affect the xover point and slope ?
Old 7th November 2019, 11:23 PM   #687
Mazza is offline Mazza  Australia
diyAudio Member

Carl and woody, you can get great help here to use this magnificent software, however first there are a few things you need to do.

As I understand speaker crossover design you need to get your drivers in your enclosures and measure the individual driver frequency response and impedance. You also need to measure the combined frequency response of your drivers.

Once you have your zma and frd files the crossover magic can begin!
Old 8th November 2019, 02:41 AM   #688
woody is online now woody
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply but I don't have any tools to measure the drivers. And I realy thought the FF85wk being a fairly popular driver someone should have the files for it.
Old 8th November 2019, 04:40 AM   #689
carlthess40 is offline carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a Dayton mic. Do I use REW to get the specs? I also have one of those Dayton audio driver tester units
Old 9th November 2019, 03:58 PM   #690
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Woody,

go over to multy-way forum and someone might help you. There is free excel spreadsheets (response modeler can simulate OB) and a tracing software to work with manufacturer's graphs. I am not sure what you meant by having amplifier with 4 ohm output impedance. They are usually specified for certain loads.

XSim free crossover designerHide this!Advertise here!