Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

XSim free crossover designer
XSim free crossover designer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2018, 04:47 AM   #561
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I re-did the zma file again with the woofers mounted on the baffle... it worked this time.

I added an extra inductor, and it looks good. I've built the one with only one 1mH and it measures well and sounds ok too. Will probably be better when I get another extra 1mH inductors.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 12.42.20 PM.png (116.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 19th September 2018, 09:10 AM   #562
CD94 is offline CD94  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Beware using published response curves in Xsim

I recently completed a pair of 3-way TLs using Volt 15" bass and 3" dome mid plus a Scanspeak tweeter using Xsim for the crossover design. What a brilliant software application! My first crossover was based on the manufacturers' published curves converted to frd and zma using FP Graph Tracer. The result was a ruler-flat response - see attached picture. Too good to be true? YES

Then I measured the drivers in cabinet with Omnimic and DATS. to create real frd and zma data. When I applied these to the original crossover design the results were not what I wanted - see attached picture.
I tried various crossover designs and the best I could produce gave the results in the third picture (the mid was measured inverted). The final crossover is very different from the first attempt. I constructed it and listened. The completed speakers sound very natural and revealing but the treble was a bit strong so I deviated with a 1ohm series resistor to the tweeter, which produced a more natural sound (mainly orchestral and choral music).
My purpose for posting this is to point out how important it is to measure the drivers rather than rely on published date from the manufacturers. I guess most of you know that already.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (28).png (175.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (27).png (176.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (26).png (175.3 KB, 78 views)

XSim free crossover designerHide this!Advertise here!