Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

XSim free crossover designer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2018, 10:37 AM   #501
CD94 is offline CD94  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question Why does Xsim extend response curves?

I created frd and zma data for a Volt RM3863 woofer from Volt's published curves using GraphTracer. Opening both files with Notepad confirmed the data is correct. Both load OK into Xsim but the frequency response is extended beyond the loaded data. It looks like Xsim has created an additional response curve from the cut-off at just under 5KHz. There is no data in the frd file after that cut-off.

Screenshot attached. Can anyone help?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (9).png (187.7 KB, 332 views)
Old 31st May 2018, 12:30 PM   #502
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That's interesting. There is no data point beyond 5K? Nothing at the very top? I've seen other programs, like PCD do that if there is one data point at the top end.
I'll edit an FRD to 5K to see what I get.
Old 31st May 2018, 12:42 PM   #503
diyAudio Moderator

Just checked. I see the same curve you have after tracing the Volt RV3863. There is an added curve at the top end.
My FRD file tops out at:
3704.840549 70.434904 0
which is where to published graph ends.
Old 31st May 2018, 12:54 PM   #504
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

These are captured with VituixCAD which has automatic extrapolation. Manual editing is not always needed.
Volt RV8363.zma
Volt RV8363 hor 0.frd
Old 31st May 2018, 01:00 PM   #505
diyAudio Moderator

That one plots down at an angle after 3.7K. It should, as you can see that Vituix has added the data above that point.
Old 31st May 2018, 01:03 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Driver files

Thanks for the two files. They upload fine to Xsim and look right.
I have the drivers on order to build a 3-way TL with Volt VM752 and scanspeak D2904/710003. I will use Omnimic to create the frd and zma files "in the box" but I wanted to do some crossover simulations first.
Any idea why Xsim does this?
Old 31st May 2018, 02:00 PM   #507
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

^bwaslo can give exact answer, but looks that there is extrapolation with last two data points with linear magnitude scale (not dB). That could work, but it's not very reliable in practice. Program expects that captured magnitude data covers whole 20..20000 Hz, or you have added single data point to >=20 kHz for guiding interpolation. Composed data point eliminates need of extrapolation.

Automatic extrapolation with slope detection by the last 1/3...2 octaves would read responses without nagging, but we can't expect perfect result because original data is unknown. Extrapolation with manual slope setting wouldn't change that. Fortunately manual editing is not a problem with standard XSim because is doesn't use tens...hundreds of response measurements. Some other simulators such as VituixCAD need stable automatic extrapolation with slope detection because projects could include hundreds of responses.
Old 31st May 2018, 02:51 PM   #508
diyAudio Member

Default Extra data points

Thanks Kimmo. So if I edit the files to add data points at 20Hz and 20KHz Xsim won't interpolate higher levels?

Incidentally, using Windows 10 and Excel to create .txt files works OK but if I try to rename the file extensions to .frd or .zma I get for example "filename.frd.txt". How do I get rid of the .txt extension? Even if it doesn't show in Explorer the .txt is still there under "properties" and Xsim won't import the files.
Old 31st May 2018, 02:58 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

Default Will I burn out my tweeter?

Just tried my first 3-way X/O using Xsim and it looks OK with a level response and reasonable impedance curve. Problem is if the amplifier is producing 50 watts the woofer is dissipating 70 watts over a broad band and the tweeter is hitting 110 watts at 5KHz.

Have I done something wrong or discovered a perpetual motion power source?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (10).png (213.9 KB, 302 views)
Old 31st May 2018, 03:01 PM   #510
diyAudio Moderator

I normally set Windows folder view to show all extension, that way I can see and edit file extensions as needed. Is your set that way?

XSim free crossover designerHide this!Advertise here!