Xenyx 302 USB for speaker workshop?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Will the Behringer 302 USB mixer work as an external USB sound card for speaker measurements? I have used an ancient Creative sound card till now, but it's getting a little long in the tooth (only 32-bit drivers, while my Windows is moving to 64 bits, etc)

I need:
  • to generate a signal from the RCA outputs of the mixer while I record from the XLR mic input
  • to generate signal output from L and R channels of RCA output while recording whatever I am receiving from the L and R from the RCA line inputs
  • generate enough phantom power in its XLR mic input to drive the Dayton Audio EMM6 measurement mic (I am reading somewhere that the Xenyx USB mixer only generates 15V phantom power, while some mics need 48V?)

The mixer must work in full duplex mode, and do all this. Will it work?

And while you are at it, can you tell me what is the sampling frequency the mixer supports? I can't find this simple fact anywhere in its web pages.

Thanks Ron. I had not been able to find the "16/48" bit.

Do you have any experience with any of these USB mixers? I find them so confusing, coming from a background with zero experience in live recording and having used just simple sound cards (USB and non-USB) before. I am thinking of switching to this device basically because I am switching my measurement mic and the new one needs an XLR input, something which normal sound cards don't have. And for impedance measurements, I need ordinary line-ins and line-outs, and I prefer RCA. Therefore I am attracted to this mixer because it seems to have both.

If I can get a few experienced users to say that it works, I'll be relieved. For me, importing from the US to India is a long process.

with usb, you may find you cant set your gating markers.
a loop rec will show if it is stable enough or not.
Actually, this was a serious problem, till I started taking impulse measurements instead of SPL measurements. I now do impulse measurements, and visually see the position of the initial spike and the first reflection. Then I put the markers to exclude the first reflection and then do a Fourier Transform to get the SPL. It's been working for me since then.

Hey all,

I am starting to attempt measuring impedance using the 302USB, and I have one basic question.

If I pump some digital audio from PC to the mixer over USB, then pass that signal out from the "Line Out" of the mixer, do things to the signal outside, and then feed it back to the "Line In" of the mixer and take it out to the PC back again, will the audio going to the PC always get mixed (in the analog mixer sense) with the signal coming from PC to the mixer?

In other words, does the digital audio coming from PC to mixer over USB always get mixed with the digital audio going from mixer to PC, in the case of the 302USB?

Suppose I do the following:
  • I play a drum track from the PC, over USB into the mixer
  • I connect an active monitor speaker to the "Line out" of the mixer, so that we can all hear the drum track
  • I connect a synthesizer or electronic keyboard's output to the "Line in" of the mixer, and start playing the keyboard
  • I start recording on the PC, picking up over USB whatever I am feeding to the "Line in" of the mixer
In that case, will I get the pure keyboard tune, or will I get the keyboard + drum track, in the recorded signal?

This is specific to the 302USB. Does it always generate a "main mix" which combines whatever is coming out from the USB with whatever is entering the mixer through the "Line in" jacks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.