speaker measurement android app

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the frequency response of the receiver of cell phones adheres to a prescribed standard envelope and most quality phones stay within the band of 300Hz to 3kHz with several dBs discrepancy!
the speaker measurement would yield most erroneous and tragic results!

A very generalized statement about cell phones. Sure, many phones may have a limited range with the mic, mine handles the full spectrum. Not saying its pro quality, but it gets the job done just fine for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-27-11-54-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-27-11-54-05.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 868
Last edited:
I don't know how that work, but maybe,
if we can connect (to android device) external USB sound card with audio input and output, like asus xsonar U3 (cheap usb sound card)
then we can connect something like behringer ECM8000 with preamp which is good enough for measurments

there is just need for software that can work similar as holmi :)

I don't know how that work, but maybe,
if we can connect (to android device) external USB sound card with audio input and output, like asus xsonar U3 (cheap usb sound card)
then we can connect something like behringer ECM8000 with preamp which is good enough for measurments

there is just need for software that can work similar as holmi :)

Thes articles may shed some light:

CDC - NIOSH Science Blog – So How Accurate Are These Smartphone Sound Measurement Apps?

Evaluation of smartphone sound measurement applicationsa)

These are relevant apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.julian.apps.AudioTool&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=radonsoft.net.rta&hl=en

There are also a number of external measurement mics that are compatible with some smart phones:

Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for iPhone iPad Tablet and Android

and some user experiences:

RTA on smartphone? Good Mic desired. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Thanks for the info Arnyk.

What I had in mind was to get a calibratable android app. for my Samsung Exhibit phone, and simply match it to the results of a high end mic and RTA that a rich friend has, while we mic high end speakers with pink noise.

Above about 8kHZ, slight movements of the mic can create big differences in readings, even with the best mics, so I take those readings with a big grain of salt. If you're developing speaker drivers, you need everything to be perfect, but if you're just adjusting levels on an active crossover, or looking for typical room effects (which are usually the worse in the lower midrange/upper bass), then it should still be useful enough.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.