Transmission Line Modelling Software

Most of the time this feature works flawlessly but sometimes it doesn't. It's almost but not completely random when it fails. Sometimes you can simply "undo" and try again and it will work, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will fail repeatedly no matter how many times I try to "undo" and try again. Sometimes closing the program, opening it again, and trying again will make it work, but sometimes not.

There is one situation I've identified where I can get it to fail about 90 percent of the time. I open the program with the default reverse taper tl loaded. In the geometry display window, I split the single segment into two segments. I use the orange line to change the segment lengths, making one end longer but the other shorter while maintaining the same total length. Then I press CTRL and adjust the csa at the point that the two segments meet. Approximately 9 times out of 10, only the active segment's csa will change, but 10 percent of the time it will adjust both segments like it's supposed to.

You seem to be confusing to features here.

If two adjoining elements have the same CSA then you can hold CTRL and resize the 'shared' area and it will resize both areas.

The other feature which you quoted is where you resize the length of an element whilst holding CTRL. This will change the start area of the element you are re-sizing to maintain the same taper.

These are two different functions. Is it the Area resize one that doesn't work? I've never had an issue with it and can't recreate your error.

You seem to be confusing to features here.

If two adjoining elements have the same CSA then you can hold CTRL and resize the 'shared' area and it will resize both areas.

The other feature which you quoted is where you resize the length of an element whilst holding CTRL. This will change the start area of the element you are re-sizing to maintain the same taper.

These are two different functions. Is it the Area resize one that doesn't work? I've never had an issue with it and can't recreate your error.

I realize they are two separate features. The reason I mentioned them both is because if I do NOT resize the segment lengths first, then the csa resize works. BUT if I first resize the segment lengths, after that the csa resize will not work. It's really weird.

If you can't recreate this error, I can make a video screen capture while I perform these actions to show you.

I made a video of me performing the actions and showing the failure. It's a screen capture so there's no way to prove that I was pressing CTRL, but I can assure you I was. (I had to make 2 videos, since it worked fine the first time, but failed the second.)

What's your email address? I can't attach a video here.

Last edited:
This program is no longer a simple transmission line simulator, it's become a very robust general quarter wave simulator. Some of it's unique features are quite brilliant and the app has the potential to become legendary.
I concur. I don't think this is overstatement.

There are a few glitches that need to be worked out to keep the program from falling into the "nice, but buggy" category, but with that done, I could see it's recommendations here and elsewhere becoming as ubitquitous as "Try WinISD."

You've done a great thing, Peter.

I finally got some time to compare tl.app to Hornresp for front loaded horn design. It's a fairly complex 4 segment horn with an offset driver, and obviously a sealed rear chamber but I didn't bother with a front chamber on this - that would just amount to a 5 segment horn anyway. I tried to make sure every single input was exactly the same in both programs, including making sure the rear chamber was the correct geometry and not masking rear chamber resonances in the hornresp sim.

This isn't a good horn design, so don't get hung up on that, the sole purpose of this excercise was to compare the output of both programs. They are pretty close, almost dead on in the 80 - 200 hz range, with tl.app response drooping a bit below 80 hz and a bit stronger above 200 hz as compared to hornresp.

I'm going to review my inputs again with a fine tooth comb to make sure the differences are not due to an error on my part, but even if not, I'd say these results are very acceptable. I can provide the hornresp export data and the tl.app project file upon request if anyone wants to check my work.

Attachments

• tl.app vs hornresp.png
    tl.app vs hornresp.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 581
They are pretty close, almost dead on in the 80 - 200 hz range, with tl.app response drooping a bit below 80 hz and a bit stronger above 200 hz as compared to hornresp.

Hi just a guy,

Possible reasons for the differences:

1. The TL program appears to be using a simple "straight line" approximation for the horn mouth acoustical impedance at high frequencies.

2. Perhaps the TL program is making assumptions on directivity and is showing the on-axis pressure response, rather than the power response?

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• TL_Za.png
    TL_Za.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 561
  • HR_Za.png
    HR_Za.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Hi just a guy,

Possible reasons for the differences:

1. The TL program appears to be using a simple "straight line" approximation for the horn mouth acoustical impedance at high frequencies.

2. Perhaps the TL program is making assumptions on directivity and is showing the on-axis pressure response, rather than the power response?

Kind regards,

David

#1 Is this something we can manually account for by adding for subtracting a small segment at the end of the line?

#2 If it is showing on axis response, that would explain it. I'm not too interested in what's going on above 200 hz anyway so I don't care much about that. I'm very interested in getting the best results possible on the low end though.

Thanks David.

Is this something we can manually account for by adding or subtracting a small segment at the end of the line?

Hi just a guy,

The simplifying approximation made in the TL program when calculating horn mouth acoustical impedance at high frequencies cannot be manually accounted for. I haven't checked to see how much of an affect it has on the accuracy of the overall results, though - perhaps the difference is not worth worrying about anyway :).

Kind regards,

David

Pete, you've gone and done a great job! Thank you :up::up:

Found a little bugger with the series/parallel driver configuration always defaulting to series. As others have mentioned, also have the minimize error. I just ignore and all is fine. i7 Win7x64

and a big please on multi driver config implementation:xfingers:

Are there any hidden files which must be removed before a re-install of the latest version 3.6.1.11 can be accomplished?

I was using and enjoying version 3.6.1.11 on my computer for days until an error message came up, after which the "enclosure" window never showed any design data. I could still run simulations, just not see any physical box design images, not even the speaker circle. I downloaded a new "setup" file from Leonard Audio website into a clean directory, but it does not install ... only generates an error message.

1) Computer running Windows Vista64 Ultimate with all updates.
2) No problems with initial install of 3.6.1.11
3) ReStarted computer before re-install. .. Error Message Below
4) Attempted install into new directory, and as Administrator

------------- Great Tool ---- Appreciate your work ----
PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.0.6002.131072 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.296
System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
clr.dll : 4.0.30319.296 (RTMGDR.030319-2900)
dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
dfshim.dll : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
Deployment url : http://www.leonardaudio.co.uk/software/TransmissionLine.application
Server : nginx

IDENTITIES
Deployment Identity : TransmissionLine.application, Version=3.6.1.11, Culture=en-GB, PublicKeyToken=f7a0f47851736b6e, processorArchitecture=x86

APPLICATION SUMMARY
* Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of http://www.leonardaudio.co.uk/software/TransmissionLine.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Activation failed.
+ The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [4/18/2013 1:07:47 PM] : Activation of http://www.leonardaudio.co.uk/software/TransmissionLine.application has started.
* [4/18/2013 1:07:52 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [4/18/2013 1:07:52 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (Activation)
- Activation failed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.IO.FileNotFoundException
- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
* Transaction at [4/18/2013 1:07:52 PM]
+ System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationSetDeploymentMetadata
- HRESULT: 0x0
+ System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreTransactionOperationType (27)
- HRESULT