Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Transmission Line Modelling Software
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2018, 11:52 PM   #871
Brian Steele is online now Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaines View Post
So im wondering about the difference in output between this and Hornsrep.

How do they compare when you model a simple TL?
Old 10th August 2018, 12:15 AM   #872
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Kinda sorta with a JBL 2225H 40 Hz TQWT, i.e. about as far off as the TH.

GM
Old 21st August 2018, 07:06 AM   #873
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaines View Post
So im wondering about the difference in output between this and Hornsrep. Im modelling a THAM15 using an Oberton 15XB700, modelling the different sections as given by Martisson.
The differences I get are shown in the attached photo, with a noteable +5dB bump at 110 Hz. As I have no way to do a real-world measurement I have no way of assessing which is more accurate but I would be very curious as to why these differences may be in terms of the response derivations and assumptions used by both programs...?

Any help would be appreciated to aid in further simulations.
The tapped horn model used in the Transmission Line simulation software is not correct - see Post #527 linked below:

Old 30th August 2018, 01:04 PM   #874
bjaurelio is offline bjaurelio
diyAudio Member

Good morning,

I am trying to model an MLTL or tapered TL using this software. Whenever I add stuffing of .75lb/ft3 in the top half, the response shows about a 30Hz decrease in resonant frequency with the overall response coming almost completely in line with the infinite baffle response. I know that's not correct, and the drop should only be 2-3Hz at most in resonant frequency. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem for me?

The MLTL also doesn't show much variation with port changes. The port is a branch off a split in the main tube at 3 inches from the bottom. I've used 2 and 3 inch ports of 1-3 inches long. I have also adjusted how far down the port location is at by moving the split. None of the 3 port parameters (location, size, and length) makes much of a difference on the response, which further makes me think something is wrong.
Old 13th September 2018, 08:11 PM   #875
a8ksh4 is offline a8ksh4
diyAudio Member

Hey All, hoping I can get some advice on a TL box I'm designing using the software from this tread. I have a JL 8w3v3 driver and am trying to design a box that'll fit between the back seats in my truck and double as an armrest. I first learned of TL boxes earlier this week and am excited to try making one.

I modeled a design in the software from this thread, and then sketched the box in CAD as close to spec as possible given my physical constraints. Finally, i updated my model to match the physical box (length, start/end area, driver position) and it's looking pretty good!

Interestingly, the box volume and TL model volume are almost exactly the same. I think that's a good sign. I can add stuffing, per the model, without changing the output a lot; In case that's needed.

Can any one who's more knowledgeable about these boxes offer any advice that might increase my odds of this actually sounding good?
  • I'm not sure what all of the graphs in the simulation software actually mean; e.g the system electrical impedance spike at 45hz is interesting.
  • The group delay seems high below 40 hz; not sure if this is something I can mitigate as I guess the low frequencies are all driven by resonance of the TL.
  • The tool doesn't seem to show a displacement graph - I think this is cone excursion - is there a way to find out if i'll be over-driving the sub at any power level with this design?
  • What other questions should I be asking?

Photos on Imgur
Design File for the TL software
CAD Drawing in OnShape (may require an acct to view)

Thanks!

Last edited by a8ksh4; 13th September 2018 at 08:33 PM.

Transmission Line Modelling SoftwareHide this!Advertise here!