Transmission Line Modelling Software

It's nice to see the basic mode back. There's one more thing I'd like to see in basic mode - a port offset. Just like you have the driver offset in basic mode, it would be nice to place the port where ever you like along the line length by simply specifying port offset, instead of having to go into advanced mode and making a branch. (This would probably require input boxes to specifiy the port dimensions and geometry.)

I'll also repeat my earlier requests, it would be great to be able to have a chamber at the beginning of the line so I can simulate front loaded horns, and I'd like to see that "update" button eliminated, it's driving me nuts. I make a change and watch the graph... and it doesn't do anything, then I remember I have to click "update". EVERY TIME. I know that's my problem and not yours, but am I the only one?

Last edited:
I'd like to see that "update" button eliminated, it's driving me nuts. I make a change and watch the graph... and it doesn't do anything, then I remember I have to click "update". EVERY TIME. I know that's my problem and not yours, but am I the only one?
You're just too used to WinISD. :D

It works well in WinISD because the program is so fast, and you're likely to make just one change at a time. Sometimes, though, I wish WinISD had an 'update' button, because the change happens so fast I can't shift my eyes in time to see it.

Personally, I think because TL.app is slower, I'd get tired of waiting for the update to finish before I could make another entry. With TLs, it's much more common, I think, to change several things at a time.

Also, I typo a lot, and get a lot of error screens in WinISD because it doesn't like commas in place of stops. The 'update' button gives me a chance to proof things and be sure it's all correct before entering illegal characters.

YMMV, obviously.

It's nice to see the basic mode back. There's one more thing I'd like to see in basic mode - a port offset

I'd like to see that "update" button eliminated, it's driving me nuts. I make a change and watch the graph... and it doesn't do anything, then I remember I have to click "update". EVERY TIME. I know that's my problem and not yours, but am I the only one?

I'll be working on an offset port for the basic mode soon and I'm sure I can do it.
The update button is a personal preference. I don't think its worth the effort to get rid of it and I don't think it will be as nice to use either, IMO..

The rear chamber is on my list but its quite a big undertaking!

Added a button to the enclosure window called 'Join'. If you select an element and click join it will look at its neighbouring elements and if they can be defined by a single element it will join them. This basically does the opposite of split.
Okay.... a bit of weirdness here.

Opening a simple tapered line in Advanced mode, adding a branch to it (sort of a reverse triangle perched on top), splitting the branch...

When I try to 'join' the branch elements, 'join' acts like delete (except it deletes the other element, not the one slected).

Undo, switch to Basic mode, and the first time I 'join', I get a hex-shaped object. Undo, try again, and join makes a single, large top for the original tapered line. Cool, maybe even useful, but it bears no relation to the two elements joined.

Then, switching back to Advanced mode, 'join' continued to make a wide top.

Closed the program and tried it twice more, same things happened, except now when in Advanced mode the second time, it's back to acting like delete?

:scratch2:

I'm so glad you're the one doing the programming, not me! :D

BTW, thanks for the other fixes. :worship:

Hi Schmeet,

I get an error updating the application. Is there no straightforward FTP download of the executable? Running v3.1.3.0

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [11/11/2012 14:39:02] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
- Downloading http://www.leonardaudio.co.uk/software/TransmissionLine.application did not succeed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Net.WebException
- Unable to connect to the remote server
- Source: System
- Stack trace:
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
- A system call that should never fail has failed 77.72.1.34:80
- Source: System
- Stack trace:
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

Thanks

When I enter in the data or change it and hit update it reverts back to the old data and everthing stays the same,and then when I enter it in a second time and hit update then the new changes take effect.

I would also like to see the rest of the data displayed when the crosshairs are used on the graphs besides just the frequency at the bottom of the window,would be nice.

Also I am getting a lot of errors in the advanced mode of the enclosure window and I try to enter in some data but it won't let me.

Great software besides !!!

Cheers!!

jer :)

When I enter in the data or change it and hit update it reverts back to the old data and everthing stays the same,and then when I enter it in a second time and hit update then the new changes take effect.

This might be because you have not selected an element to edit. I've not experienced an error like this myself.

Is this in advanced mode or basic mode?

This is the advanced mode with the stock model.
I am not familar with this mode yet as the last version I had worked with was 2.18.
When ever I tried to enter any data(my first move was the start area) it would error and would not let me continue and would error on any other move I tried to make including trying to get into the basic mode.

Once I restarted the program I was able too first get into basic mode and then I could enter the data but as a stated I had to do this twice in order to see the changes.

Other than that if I run into any more serious issues I will use the email instead as requested.

Thank you!

jer :)

P.S. I just tried the new update and now it is not accepting any new data,Again I was just changing the start area ( in basic mode) to begin with from stock .15 to .1 and also .5 and it would change it back to .15 and show no changes.

Last edited:
Hmm. I have been using the program a fair bit over the last couple of days and I'm not happy with the new Basic Mode and the conversion between the two, it introduces errors and strange things can happen.

Unless you all object profusely I think i will remove the basic mode and concentrate more on the advanced mode again to make it more user friendly.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I think the basic mode is a good idea, but obviously...

FWIW, usually, when I'm about 2/3s done, I stop and start over. The trouble is, you never really know where you're going when you start, so you make a best guess and go from there. It's always a tough decision to start over, but when I do, I end up with something that's more modular, more readable, more easily expandable, and that last 1/3 is easily done.

I think the basic mode is a good idea, but obviously...

FWIW, usually, when I'm about 2/3s done, I stop and start over. The trouble is, you never really know where you're going when you start, so you make a best guess and go from there. It's always a tough decision to start over, but when I do, I end up with something that's more modular, more readable, more easily expandable, and that last 1/3 is easily done.

When I write code I use the accordion method. I expand it, then compress it, then expand it, then compress it… :D
I have in more recent times tried to adopt a more modular approach.

I suggest 2 separate programs, one basic, one advanced. That should solve the problem and keep the functionality. But please don't forget to work on variable port placement in basic mode.

I think it's essential for beginners to start in basic mode. If there's no basic mode you are going to lose a lot of people right off the bat.

I suggest 2 separate programs, one basic, one advanced. That should solve the problem and keep the functionality. But please don't forget to work on variable port placement in basic mode.

I think it's essential for beginners to start in basic mode. If there's no basic mode you are going to lose a lot of people right off the bat.

Whilst i agree with you, and it would be nice to have a large user base. I would prefer my program to be a more advanced modelling program that can be used to model complex geometries that might not be possible in other software. (Without having to resort to things like akabak).

I will try and get back to having a basic mode, I just don't think that its working at this moment in time and it will inhibit further development.

(Variable port placement will come eventually!)