Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Exploring Visual Analyser (VA)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2012, 02:12 AM   #71
Terry McGee is offline Terry McGee  Australia
diyAudio Member

Whew, I'll cancel my appointment at the mental clinic tomorrow!

And I've put a note about 1V calibration on the Calibration tutorial.

I guess we have to wait for Alfredo to surface to achieve a real end to that issue. In the meantime, I'll conspire to be able to calibrate the Office/lab machine at the 1V level.

Thanks for your patience with that MelB. Not only is VA big, it's possibly bigger than all of us! I appreciate the help forum members are contributing.

Terry
Old 30th May 2012, 05:36 AM   #72
diyAudio Member

It strikes me too that maybe we shouldn't abandon 2011 just yet. So I've started again by uninstalling everything and deleting the directory, downloading and installing 2011, and then putting 2012 into a separate subfolder beside 2011. In future articles I'll compare both.

Terry
Old 30th May 2012, 08:37 AM   #73
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I'm using this nice piece of software since the days Pedja recommendet it.
However, one thing I never understood:
After having installed the decent ESI Juli@ Soundcard, which is able to do 192kHz/24bit in and out, VA, when detecting the device, tells me always that it's only capable of 96/24.
This goes for VA 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 Beta.

I'm running XP.

Does anyone of you have the same problem?

And thank you Terry, for the tutorial, great service.

Last edited by zinsula; 30th May 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 30th May 2012, 01:37 PM   #74
space-cake is offline space-cake  Israel
diyAudio Member

I bought the impedance meter kit from the Italian magazine and when I try to use the sweep function I have troubles. Can't scan approx. more than 3KHz also in 2012 sweep never works, does not pass calibration. Anyone seen these happening? I have both apps installed on two machines running winXP and win7 64bit.

Also Terry - what's the problem with calibration? Pretty easy to do. I managed to calibrate both 2011 and 2012 and I am very impressed this far.

Last edited by space-cake; 30th May 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 30th May 2012, 01:55 PM   #75
MelB is offline MelB  Canada
diyAudio Member

Zinsula: Perhaps 192K is not available. Here is an extract from one of Alfredo's papers:

The idea could be realized using low cost and ubiquitous hardware, for example a standard Windows-based PC and a sound card as data acquisition board. The only additional hardware could be a standard oscilloscope probe and a simple protection circuit to guard against excessive voltage. The newest soundcards with a 192 kHz sample rate will manage signals with frequencies up to 96 kHz (which is well beyond the audio frequencies).
Old 30th May 2012, 06:57 PM   #76
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

@zinsula:
If your soundcard unable functioning full duplex mode (192K in, 192K out at the same time), then VA switching downward.
Old 30th May 2012, 08:12 PM   #77
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Thank you both.

Strangely, RMAA says that full duplex mode at 192/24 is supported.

See attached printscreen:
on top RMAA windows, bottom left VA settings window, bottom right Juli@ panel.

The Juli@ panel shows setting changes, when RMAA tries to detect supported modes.
Nothing happens, when VA does the detection. I can even set sample rate manually at any rate, the result is always the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Supported Modes.jpg (192.0 KB, 241 views)
Old 30th May 2012, 09:43 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by space-cake View Post
I bought the impedance meter kit from the Italian magazine and when I try to use the sweep function I have troubles. Can't scan approx. more than 3KHz also in 2012 sweep never works, does not pass calibration. Anyone seen these happening? I have both apps installed on two machines running winXP and win7 64bit.

Also Terry - what's the problem with calibration? Pretty easy to do. I managed to calibrate both 2011 and 2012 and I am very impressed this far.
Can't help you on the impedance kit, space-cake, I haven't got that far, and suspect I won't for a while! I did see another thread somewhere about ZRLC, perhaps someone there could help?

On the calibration front, I seem to have no trouble on 2011, but 2012 works on the XP machine but not the Windows 7 32 bit. Not sure yet what's going on there.

Terry

Last edited by Terry McGee; 30th May 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 30th May 2012, 09:49 PM   #79
mickeymoose is offline mickeymoose  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have pretty well the same experience using XP, an E-MU 0204 box via USB. Maybe this is just there for future development. E
Old 30th May 2012, 11:46 PM   #80
Conrad Hoffman is offline Conrad Hoffman  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure I could do 192 with my EMU 0202 way back, but when I switched to newer drivers for Vista, 192 operation was lost. I haven't updated drivers in a long time.

Exploring Visual Analyser (VA)Hide this!Advertise here!