How to calculate intermodulation distortion ratio ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I understand IMD is measured by feeding two sine waves, f1 and f2, at different frequencies into the amplifier.
On the output of the amplifier we have signal with spectrum that contain peaks on n*f1+m*f2 frequences.
So, my question is how does formula to calculate IMD look like ?
And how much peaks we should take into account ?

I assume you are using an audio spectrum analyzer to see the spectrum. You then simply take the difference between the wanted signal and the highest peak in the unwanted signal. When you measure voltages and like to have the result in dB you use the formula: Uwanted / Uunwanted * LOG10.

If you turn up the signal 1 dB and the peak you are measuring is going up 1 dB also the peak is second order distortion. If the peak is going up by 2 dB you are looking at third order distortion.

Sycorax, thanks for reply.
I do calculate IMD by formula below, but not sure if it is correct.

IMD = sqrt( ... + AmplitudeOf(8000Hz)^2 + AmplitudeOf(9000Hz)^2 + AmplitudeOf(12000Hz)^2 + AmplitudeOf(13000Hz)^2 + ...) / sqrt(AmplitudeOf(10000Hz)^2 + AmplitudeOf(11000Hz)^2)

In this example f1=10000Hz, f2=11000Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.