HOLMImpulse: Measurements in practice

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, you can add up to 99dB in the options window of each measurement (A, B, C). The graph will go right off the chart, but it exports fine. Put it back after you export to see it again on the HOLM chart.

Who was it that figured that one out? It's back in the thread somewhere. Major kudos to him!

HOLMImpulse and EMU-0404 Calibration

I am using trying the software for a few weeks, and liked it very much. I have tried with several sound cards but an external one seems the best.

Is there anybody tried sound card calibration for EMU 0404?

I'm using Behringer ECM8000 connected to EMU0404 and doubtful about loopback connection.

Should I disconnect the mike and connect a cable between input and output of the sound card? Is that enough?

Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
gnal: You want to do a loop from output to input to calibrate. If you can use the mic input, you should. I can do so on my M-Audio card by using the "Pad" on the mic input to bring down the level. I use a 1/4" to XLR cable for this.

McMahon. Not likely your soundcard will output 2.83 volts. And it wouldn't drive the speakers anyway. So... You set the output level of HOLM to -3dB or -6dB and then adjust your amplifier to give you 2.83 volts, or whatever you want. I don't worry about that, I just set the MLS signal (like pink) to give me ~84dB as measured with the Radio Shack SPL meter. That's a good measurement point for me.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And I ditto your ditto!
It's all pretty easy to use.

Earl, do you use any particular SPL, or just whatever is convenient? I went from "whatever" to trying to keep things at about 84dB. This seemed like a good average listening level for me, so the system is working in its normal range. Not sure how much it matters, as long as S/N is good and it's not overdriving.

Your thoughts?

And I ditto your ditto!
It's all pretty easy to use.

Earl, do you use any particular SPL, or just whatever is convenient? I went from "whatever" to trying to keep things at about 84dB. This seemed like a good average listening level for me, so the system is working in its normal range. Not sure how much it matters, as long as S/N is good and it's not overdriving.

Your thoughts?

The higher the SPL the better the SNR, but too high and nonlinear effects creep in and then the SNR goes down. 84 dB seems way too low for me. I'm more like 90-100 dB, but then efficiency enters into this equation. My speakers are still loafing at those levels, yours probably not.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Horns. ;) Room volume somewhere around 4000 cubic feet. Mid size.

Yeah Earl, I've often run hotter, like the 90-100dB range. That's about a watt, RMS. Just can't decide if one is better than the other. I do wear ear muffs at the higher ranges, tho! Gets darn annoying without.

The higher the SPL the better the SNR, but too high and nonlinear effects creep in and then the SNR goes down. 84 dB seems way too low for me. I'm more like 90-100 dB, but then efficiency enters into this equation. My speakers are still loafing at those levels, yours probably not.

So when measuring higher sensitivity designs we should keep it around 100dB to get the most accurate readings?

Just discovered HOLMImpulse today, it's the best piece of measurement software that I have tried :D

The following measurement is BMS 4552Nd on 18Sound XT1086 horn at 1 meter on-axis, with constant directivity eq, LR24 crossover at 1400Hz and group delay correction for approaching actual acoustic LR24 response (all done with DCX2496).

Very nice choise of HF !
Fill the XT1086 with foam and meet the really nice sound !!
Pre ringing dissappears completely With other things..