HOLMImpulse: Measuring Frequency & Impulse Response

Yes I understood and after spending about 4 days getting more and more frustrated you fixed it in 2 seconds thank you I removed and downloaded all of the programs a couple of times spent hours on trying to get java to load correctly kept getting errors on Rew when trying to reinstall I even read both manuals and could not find the answer. should have asked on the forum sooner thank you again.

I need help - as I am not a geek but do have HOLMImpulse installed on my StudioDAW, running WIN10 64. I want to run a frequency check on a number of Electro-Voice Microphones but haven't the slightest idea how to set about it, so need gentle help please! Equipment to hand: The Studio DAW, Electro-Voice 100A Sentry Studio Monitors, Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Condenser Microphone. The E-V Mics to test are mostly Dynamics: RE20's,RE55's,665's and 660A's. Four E-V PL37 Capacitor Mics. Then a pair of (unknown) Ribbon Mics with electronics inside. I am going to remove all electronics and convert them to Passive Microphones using FAB Ribbon Microphone Transformers Model 4196 - which I have from Chris at Home Before I do this I want to do a Freq.Test on the Mics as they are, then convert them and do a freq. test as Passive Mics. Quite an undertaking. Please advise me where to start on this quest using the above equipment at my disposal! Many thanks! Michael UK

Yes, Thanks. But there's nothing I can find in there about Microphone Frequency Response Testing. Except a sort of off-hand reference which implies that given the data for Speakers one can easily adapt for Microphones. Not so (at least for me!) for there are Capacitor Microphones, active Microphones, Dynamic Microphones, Passive Microphones and Ribbon Microphones - all of which I have and wish to test. Help please? Michael UK

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you have a reference microphone, you can create a setup where you can measure a single driver with the reference microphone, and then with each of the microphones that you want to test.

You need to ensure that each time you swap a mic it is in exactly the same position with the same settings.

You can then subtract (using the divide function in holm impulse) the reference microphone's response from each microphone under test to get the difference function. This will show you how each microphone deviates in response from that of the reference microphone.

Tony.

Thank you, Tony, for the procedure. That was the important part! Yes I have a Behringer ECM8000. My prime test is a 'before' and 'after' on two S300 Ribbon Mics. 'before' I remove all the electronics and Xfmr, and 'after' when all this is replaced with a FAB ribbon Xfmr Model 4196 thus making them Passive Microphones. Then, for kicks I can do all the E-V Mics. Michael UK

Hello Earl - Thank you for your helpful response! I do not know how stable our ECM8000 is. I do have some Electro-Voice RE55 Omni Dynamic Microphones which are amazingly flat from 40Hz - 20KHz. At least according to their response curve - which isn't a curve at all. Google them at Coutant.Org and you'll see what I mean. These are some of the Microphones I hope to apply HOLMImpulse to.

Making a mic flat at assembly is not so hard with tweaks (i made mics for years.) Making it stay flat is a real problem. Because mics are so small their tolerances are very tight and these tend to shift with age. Good reference mics need to be checked every few years or they cannot be relied upon. For differential measurements this is not an issue, but for accurate absolute measurements it is.

Unfortunately without having a "know good reference", you cannot measure a mics true performance. In the professional world this is done by sending a mic back to the manufacturer for calibration, but only "pro" measurement mic companies will do this. Behringer won't. There may be some outside labs that will do it, but it is likely not cheap.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if they gave you a calibration file for it then no reason not to use it as the reference.

It depends on what you want to achive. If you just want to see what relative difference in the spl curve the mods to the mics make and don't really care about absolute accuracy, then any of the mics (including the mic being modified) can be used as the reference.

Tony.

Yes, I do have Calrec's 'curves' - and they're as flat as anything - for it's an SPS422 stereo Microphone and both L&R curves are so tight all the way from 17.58Hz to 20KHz - where they plunge virtigeonously. I only need L or R so my first Frequency Test will be on the ECM8000. The Big Question now is How does one go about invoking HOLMImpulse? What is the step-by-step 'method' of using that Programme for a Microphone Frequency Response? Would anyone advise? Equipment here: We have a high-end WIN10 DAW with HOLMImpulse and can feed Analogue (or Digital) into it using Audio Design DMA 2 (2 Channel Mic Pre) feeding into Audio Design PROBOX II (AES,OPT,SP in/out) into the DAW. Output to QUAD 406 Amp. into Electro-Voice SENTRY 100A Studio Monitors. The Microphones will be placed close to the 100A (distance? 6 inches?) on a Mic.Stereo Spreader Bar - except for the Calrec which has its own particular 'clamp' - but the two Mic proximity will be rigorously adhered to! Michael UK

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well after far too long being frustrated that HOLM would no longer import impulse files or wave files for comparison, I set about to fix that. I'm on Windows 10, latest update.

I uninstalled the 64bit version and installed the 32bit. It did remember preferences, as it went right back to the last file I had open. In W10 I set compatibility to Vista Service pack 2, which is what the compatibility test recommended. And it works! As long as the file to be opened is 16 bit signed, there is no problem. Other formats don't work.

Finally.

Maybe now I need to check if I can get the 64bit version to play nice, although I don't really see why it's needed.