Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

HOLMImpulse: Measuring Frequency- & Impulse-Response
HOLMImpulse: Measuring Frequency- & Impulse-Response
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2019, 02:43 PM   #1111
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Old 6th August 2019, 03:18 PM   #1112
JohnPM is offline JohnPM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
The term "complex" is poorly chosen since it is not "complex" in the mathematical sense, but in the fact that it is more complicated.
Holm uses Complex in the context of fractional octave smoothing to refer to independently smoothing the real and imaginary parts of the response rather than their magnitudes, so Complex seems appropriate.
Old 6th August 2019, 04:38 PM   #1113
diyAudio Member

John

That is not my understanding. The complex smoothing uses a sliding window to simulate a wider bandwidth at HFs. I don't see how smoothing the real and imaginary parts separately would do that. For a minimum phase system it would not really do anything at all.
Old 6th August 2019, 05:27 PM   #1114
JohnPM is offline JohnPM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
I don't see how smoothing the real and imaginary parts separately would do that. For a minimum phase system it would not really do anything at all.
It is how the effect of a variable time window is generated. See for example Variable-octave complex smoothing and Generalized Fractional-Octave Smoothing of Audio and Acoustic Responses.
Old 6th August 2019, 08:50 PM   #1115
diyAudio Member

Interesting. I could not get the first paper since I am no longer an AES member (retired), but I had the second one. It is quite complete in its analysis.

I was initially suspect since it is possible to smooth a complex function in the complex domain, I've done that, so I did not see why one would do it separately on the real and imaginary parts. But since one takes an expected value of the squares, (which is not linear) this will account for the difference.

Thanks for the info John.
Old 9th August 2019, 09:59 AM   #1116
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPM View Post
It is how the effect of a variable time window is generated. See for example Variable-octave complex smoothing and Generalized Fractional-Octave Smoothing of Audio and Acoustic Responses.
What kind of benefits are we looking at for these smoothing? Do we need smoothing at all?

HOLMImpulse: Measuring Frequency- & Impulse-ResponseHide this!Advertise here!