TINA-TI Tube Simulation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is anyone using TINA or TINA-TI for tube spice simulations? I can import tube spice models into TINA-TI, but I can't connect the models with the tube symbols in the library. I think that's because TINA is looking for pin designations in the models that match the symbols' pin designations, and I don't know any way to get the info in TINA-TI. Any ideas?

TINA uses some type of binary compressed models IIRC, and it's a whole lot easier to import models to LTSpice, which uses text based models. if you're using the freeware version of TINA, your nodes internal to the model count against you in the schematic, and you run into the "schematic too complex" error rather quickly.

Sorry I took so long to reply. TINA-TI does accept text-based SPICE models. During the import process, you have to match the model to one of the graphical symbols in the library. This will be the symbol displayed when you build a circuit using the imported model.

Here's what I've discovered:

1. When you import a SPICE model, the netlist must start with a line that has the characters "* TEXAS" all by itself. This way, the simulator thinks the part is a TI part. TINA-TI is free because TI wants you to simulate circuits using their products. :)

2. when you import a tube model, the pin designations must be declared as P for plate, G for grid and K for cathode like this:

.SUBCKT 12AX7A P G K

3. Every circuit in TINA-TI MUST have at least one TI integrated circuit or the simulator will refuse to run it. I put a BUF634 on it and connect all pins to ground.

4. The new version of TINA-TI claims to have NO limitations.

TINA-TI is a SUPERB graphical SPICE simulator and it comes with a bunch of excellent virtual tools like an oscilloscope. And it's a lot easier to use than LTSPICE.

Tina-TI?!

As a newbie, Tina-TI looks wonderous. But I'm still trying to figure out how to use it. For example, there is a power amplifier chip by Philips that I would like to put in a circuit. There doesn't seem to be any way to create a new icon, or what ever you call the symbols the Tina-TI uses. Also, when trying to simulate an op amp, such as a TL074, I find it necessary to put in four TL071s, as there is no way to show that the power is already being applied at a different terminal of the same chip. (Does that make sense, or am I just blabbing.)

Thanx
The Happy Hippy

I have ICAPS (Intusoft, the full commercial version that is 10 years old), LTSpice, TINA, and Orcad (At work only).

I have found LTspice the easiest to use with regards to tube circuits, and importing models. Since they are all based on the same spice engine (except the old ICAPS) they should all give the same results. So the issue is which is easiest to work with.

I have even quit using ORCAD at work due to the fact that it is a kluge into their schematic capture / board layout tools. I now use LTspice at work as well as at home.

I find it is easiest to get help with LT spice as well, including the Yahoo LTspice group.

I realize this does not answer your question about geting a model into TINA, however if you are just starting out you may be better off in the long run if you switch to LTspice.

I visted his Web. It is well documented but I cannot see how to get
".TSM" files such as "12AU7A.TSM". Does anyone know it?

See the "Transwiki" link i gave earlier. It says:

"TSM: TINA Subcircuit Macro is the extension for macros generated by TINA. If you want to create a macro you should use the Tools. New Macro Wizard... command on the main menu. Macros can be considered as SPICE subcircuits (.Subckt). "

It says:
"TSM: TINA Subcircuit Macro is the extension for macros generated by TINA. If you want to create a macro you should use the Tools. New Macro Wizard... command on the main menu. Macros can be considered as SPICE subcircuits (.Subckt). "

I am a newbie for TIBA. I cannot create a ".Subcircuits" in accordance with
the above documentation. Does anyone tell me how to get "ready made
PentodeTube.TSM and triodeTube.TSM".

Sorry to revive an old thread, but all the sudden my power tube models aren't working well. I can simulate the 12AU7 and 6SN7 fine, but when I try the 300B or 2A3, it only biases to like 15V, not the 48 it used to say. It used to work fine, and I didn't change anything. Any ideas? I tried getting new spice models for the tubes but it didnt help.

Changing my transformer ratio changes the bias point, which I feel is inconsistent with reality since transformers only reflect the load to AC signals...

Last edited:
Did your spice file get modified by accident? (It can be edited locally within a saved project, and it's easy to forget if you have done it). Here's mine as supplied with Tina:

This model is valid for the following tubes:
* WE300B, STC4300B;
* at the following conditions:
* Plate voltage : 0..650V
* Grid voltage : 0..-160V
* Cathode current: 0..200mA
* Connections: Plate
* | Grid
* | | Cathode
* | | |
.SUBCKT WE300B P G K
E1 2 0 VALUE={V(P,K)+3.87*V(G,K)}
R1 2 0 1.0K
Gp P K VALUE={119.5E-6*(PWR(V(2),1.5)+PWRS(V(2),1.5))/2}
Cgk G K 9.0P
Cgp G P 15P
Cpk P K 4.3P
.ENDS WE300B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.