New moderator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi All,
A hearty welcome Ray! Now we can practice synchronized mopping. :D

Jan,
Sorry. Pop = soda I drive on highways and parkways (odd to be sure) and park in a driveway (someone has to explain that one to me)

Bas,
We marry our female companionship sometimes. They are called wives or girlfriends . ;) That might be more expensive in the end, but I don't have to make any more decisions! :clown:

SY,
You pay a toll for me????:xeye: (last name = bridge) :D Marker words are neat to study. You can tell many things from that and spelling.

-Chris - thanks for the kind wishes to everyone.

It's a deep dark secret.

Here's a few insights:

1. Need. Do we need more help? I like to have about 10-12 active moderators at any given time. As people go through cycles and we lose their services, we fill in with new blood.

2. Willingness. Moderators are unpaid. There's no particular prestige attached to it, it's more of a janitor/bouncer role. It takes time and you regularly get abused in public or via email. Most people we ask politely say no.

3. Competence. Basic technical competence is needed, but moderators are NOT chosen for outstanding technical abilities. Personality and nature of interactions with other members are more important than understanding the ins and outs of Laplace transforms.

4. Geography. We want to be spread out so that there's more-or-less 24 hour coverage. This also helps in understanding cultural issues.

janneman said:
Actually I didn't think that one up,

No fooling?

quasi said:
Hey Cal, is that your pet or your dinner?

He's the hungry duck that came visiting when I was having lunch with my parents on the patio at the golf course. He was the only white one among many other regular coloured mallard ducklings. A shining star if you will.

SY said:
It's a deep dark secret.

Here's a few insights:

1. Need. Do we need more help? I like to have about 10-12 active moderators at any given time. As people go through cycles and we lose their services, we fill in with new blood.

2. Willingness. Moderators are unpaid. There's no particular prestige attached to it, it's more of a janitor/bouncer role. It takes time and you regularly get abused in public or via email. Most people we ask politely say no.

3. Competence. Basic technical competence is needed, but moderators are NOT chosen for outstanding technical abilities. Personality and nature of interactions with other members are more important than understanding the ins and outs of Laplace transforms.

4. Geography. We want to be spread out so that there's more-or-less 24 hour coverage. This also helps in understanding cultural issues.

SY forgot one thing when he made that list. Generally speaking if someone asks to become a mod they will be turned away.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.