Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

New Quote Function
New Quote Function
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2020, 12:52 AM   #1
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

New Quote Function
Default New Quote Function

You may have noticed a small change in the buttons on the page.
We are cleaning up the functions of the forum and have changed the Quote/Reply actions a little.

You'll see that the last post in a thread does not have the quote button. It has been removed to prevent the overzealous quoting of the entire post just above.

If you do need to quote the last post in line, you still can. Simply click on the Mutliquote button Click the image to open in full size. then click on the big Click the image to open in full size. button on the lower left. Easy.
And you can still multiqoute this way, just like before.

Please remember to keep your quotes brief and to the point. No one wants to read an entire post all over again.
Old 7th July 2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

New Quote Function
Thanks Pano, hopefully the members will understand the need for this and work with us to continue to improve this site.

Last edited by Cal Weldon; 9th July 2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: correction
Old 14th July 2020, 05:50 AM   #3
Dude111 is offline Dude111
diyAudio Member

Another VBB site Im on did this also...... He went further and removed quote all together for reg accounts since it was being misused.....

Im sorry you guys had to do it here also...... I try not to misuse Quote.... I know how its supposed to be used
Old 20th July 2020, 12:41 AM   #4
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I’ve grown to dislike the quote deal myself, I do a lot of searching, and often the results are shown as the quoted content instead of the original post. Then one has to go back often several pages to then find the relevant information.
Secondary issue I realize, but that’s how I have come to see the constant use.

Good job making steps to reign in the over-usage of that feature...
Old 29th September 2020, 07:40 PM   #5
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

New Quote Function
Going from a quote back to the original post is easy. Just click on the little triangle icon on the top of the quote and you're taken to the original post.

Using quotes even from the latest post in a thread can be useful. First, it allows the system to notify the author of the quoted text about the reply to his/her post, so he/she will know that his/her post which may need attention. Secondly it can be useful to quote a specific part from a long post to provide some context for a reply. It would therefore be wrong to disable quotes from the last post of a thread.

Last edited by mbrennwa; 29th September 2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 20th November 2020, 07:07 AM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

New Quote Function
Because someone asked...

An example of multi quotes from this thread.

1/ Click the multi post button of the posts concerned. Click them again to deselect if you change your mind.

2/ Click the Post Reply button as described in post #1 in this thread.

3/ It will open to the Advanced Window with your chosen quotes and where you can add your own content and trim the quotes as needed. Just be sure to retain the data and end quote brackets highlighted.

4/ Now you can do as you please and trim the content as/if required. Just be sure to retain the bracketed info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-11-20 064836.jpg (105.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-11-20 065528.jpg (157.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-11-20 070015.jpg (122.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 8th December 2020, 03:53 AM   #7
Veleric is offline Veleric  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
You'll see that the last post in a thread does not have the quote button. It has been removed to prevent the overzealous quoting of the entire post just above.
Interesting. I'm rarely (never?) bothered by overzealous quoting. But am constantly annoyed by the opposite problem. People reply and assume that we know what the heck they are replying to. Maybe, they assume that their post will follow the post they are replying to, but meanwhile six other people reply and now their reply is far removed from the original post and appears totally out of context. I often find myself scanning several pages back in threads in an (often vain) attempt to figure out what post prompted the quoteless reply.

Instead of discouraging quoting, I suggest you encourage folks to quote the specific portion of a post they are commenting on, regardless of whether it's the previous post or not.

Why discourage quoting? I mean, if you don't want to read a quote...just don't.
Eric
Old 8th December 2020, 06:53 AM   #8
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

New Quote Function
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veleric View Post
to quote the specific portion of a post
Targeted quoting can make for smooth reading. There is now a message above the post screen when quoting.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2020-12-08 17-30-43.png (20.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 8th December 2020, 08:01 AM   #9
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

New Quote Function
Especially for long posts with many images embedded (a phenomenon that ssems to be gone...), trimming the quote really makes a difference...

Even though I often think i‘d like to have the option to just „+1“ or so a post instead of having a New Quote FunctionNew Quote FunctionNew Quote Function etc as a post, or a working threaded view, or—to admit my greedynees New Quote Function—a working search-function., I think it is important to say that this site and community is so cool that it barely matters how uptodate the frontend is!

So, jason, and all admins, thanks veryvery much for giving us, uhm, „slightly deranged“ folks a second home!
Old 8th December 2020, 08:04 AM   #10
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veleric View Post
Why discourage quoting? I mean, if you don't want to read a quote...just don't.
Eric
It fills the page with garbage.

New Quote FunctionHide this!Advertise here!