New Quote Function

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You may have noticed a small change in the buttons on the page.
We are cleaning up the functions of the forum and have changed the Quote/Reply actions a little.

You'll see that the last post in a thread does not have the quote button. It has been removed to prevent the overzealous quoting of the entire post just above.

If you do need to quote the last post in line, you still can. Simply click on the Mutliquote button
multiquote_off.gif
then click on the big
reply.gif
button on the lower left. Easy.
And you can still multiqoute this way, just like before.

Please remember to keep your quotes brief and to the point. No one wants to read an entire post all over again.

I’ve grown to dislike the quote deal myself, I do a lot of searching, and often the results are shown as the quoted content instead of the original post. Then one has to go back often several pages to then find the relevant information.
Secondary issue I realize, but that’s how I have come to see the constant use.

Good job making steps to reign in the over-usage of that feature...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Going from a quote back to the original post is easy. Just click on the little triangle icon on the top of the quote and you're taken to the original post.

Using quotes even from the latest post in a thread can be useful. First, it allows the system to notify the author of the quoted text about the reply to his/her post, so he/she will know that his/her post which may need attention. Secondly it can be useful to quote a specific part from a long post to provide some context for a reply. It would therefore be wrong to disable quotes from the last post of a thread.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Because someone asked...

An example of multi quotes from this thread.

1/ Click the multi post button of the posts concerned. Click them again to deselect if you change your mind.

2/ Click the Post Reply button as described in post #1 in this thread.

3/ It will open to the Advanced Window with your chosen quotes and where you can add your own content and trim the quotes as needed. Just be sure to retain the data and end quote brackets highlighted.

4/ Now you can do as you please and trim the content as/if required. Just be sure to retain the bracketed info.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-20 064836.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-11-20 064836.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 306
  • Screenshot 2020-11-20 065528.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-11-20 065528.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 305
  • Screenshot 2020-11-20 070015.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-11-20 070015.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 291
You'll see that the last post in a thread does not have the quote button. It has been removed to prevent the overzealous quoting of the entire post just above.

Interesting. I'm rarely (never?) bothered by overzealous quoting. But am constantly annoyed by the opposite problem. People reply and assume that we know what the heck they are replying to. Maybe, they assume that their post will follow the post they are replying to, but meanwhile six other people reply and now their reply is far removed from the original post and appears totally out of context. I often find myself scanning several pages back in threads in an (often vain) attempt to figure out what post prompted the quoteless reply.

Instead of discouraging quoting, I suggest you encourage folks to quote the specific portion of a post they are commenting on, regardless of whether it's the previous post or not.

Why discourage quoting? I mean, if you don't want to read a quote...just don't.
Eric

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Especially for long posts with many images embedded (a phenomenon that ssems to be gone...), trimming the quote really makes a difference...

Even though I often think i‘d like to have the option to just „+1“ or so a post instead of having a [emoji1303][emoji4][emoji1787] etc as a post, or a working threaded view, or—to admit my greedynees [emoji18]—a working search-function., I think it is important to say that this site and community is so cool that it barely matters how uptodate the frontend is!

So, jason, and all admins, thanks veryvery much for giving us, uhm, „slightly deranged“ folks a second home!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.