Posts per page....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find the 10 posts per page to be a minor annoyance, even less so if it significantly improves the bandwidth. But can we please list more than the next 5 pages of posts? It really sucks when one sorts the threads with the latest posts last and is on page 12 of 20..... This is particularly obnoxious in the members listing where, IIR, only the next 3 pages are available.

Wow, a Gigabyte per day in attachments! :eek:

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Avatars are no problem - they are 1/20th of bandwidth currently. Perhaps there are ones on here that are not optimized properly, but it's not worth worrying about.

In this day and age, bandwidth is cheap, and only going to get cheaper. We thought we'd allocated enough (4x the current usage) for the new box, but I think the stats we had from our last one were off (probably because of my webalizer config settings) so we need more than we thought. There are also issues of hotlinking from other (chinese) websites. We're (read: AF ;) working on them.

Both AF and I am strongly against hurting the user experience to do something like save bandwidth. We will endevour to minimize *unneccesary* bandwidth usage (eg: someone loads a single page, with 50 posts, and it loads 20 100KB images = 2MB, and they didn't even look at any). That should make a huge difference.

Don't worry, we're on to it ;)

Go to first unread post

Would it be possible to insert the "Go to first unread post" link in each forum main page. That would probably save some bandwidth too and make the "user experience" even more enjoyable :)

I read many very active threads and sometimes there will be more than a full page a new posts. If I click on the last page link, I "waste" this bandwidth as I have to go back 1 or 2 pages to pickup the thread were I left it last.

Having this option would bring me to the right place right away, saving both my time and some bandwith.

how about encouraging use of good compression and favoring the exchange of schematics and graphs which compress well, looking at my schematic images most are <50Kb with png compression, can you just set a image file size threshold for automatic download? - tif files are even a little beter for line drawings and anyone looking at US patents will have already loaded a free viewer plugin

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jcx said:
how about encouraging use of good compression and favoring the exchange of schematics and graphs which compress well, looking at my schematic images most are <50Kb with png compression, can you just set a image file size threshold for automatic download? - tif files are even a little beter for line drawings and anyone looking at US patents will have already loaded a free viewer plugin

gif is usually the smallest format for drawings & scematics...

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.