Mailing list manager / Re-confirmation popup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
As part of our long road towards GDPR compliance and generally getting our house in order, we now have a singular place to edit your mailing list preferences.

You can access this at any time by visiting:

http://www.diyaudio.com/lists

After a few days, this will be hooked into the forum more deeply, and a slightly different (simplified) wizard will pop up when you log in to the forum, and guide members through choosing their email preferences.

This is currently a "soft launch" (live production test). It's been thoroughly tested, but you know what they say about best-laid plans. Please let me know if you experience any problems. Cheers.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks to the handful of people who gave it a shot. I ended up rewriting half of it and the old database structure isn't compatible with the new one, so "please try again". Soon it will be auto-prompting you to reconfirm your mailing list preferences anyway when you view a thread or a forum and haven't reconfirmed your preferences, so either way, feel free to "test again" or wait 24 hours for the start of "one time" prompts to reconfirm your diyAudio community and diyAudio store mailing list subscriptions.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
It forces you to click yes and confirm, otherwise the only option is to remove email and start up another one ???????

I don't really understand if this is a question or a statement. The mailing list re-confirm popup doesn't force you to confirm. You can confirm you want updates (which is the leading answer) if you like. We're offering a service and in exchange, we'd like to email you if you give us permission to do so.

If you don't want to do that, the next text underneath offers for you to alternatively "un-confirm and un-subscribe" and you will be removed from the mailing list and you won't ever see that question again. It's just gathering consent in a GDPR compliant way.

There is no option to "remove email". There is an option to "un-confirm and un-subscribe", which is hopefully self explanatory, but as you've posted this message, perhaps not and it needs some more explanation. I'm not sure what you mean by "start up another one", but feel free to let me know.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Once you've registered your consent one way or another, there is no way to get the popup to appear again. It's a once off process if you haven't re-confirmed yet. Once you have re-confirmed (yes, or no), it won't ask you again.

You can change your preferences or set them at any time here: http://www.diyaudio.com/lists/

I appreciate your feedback though, and tomorrow I'll look into making the text to unsubscribe more clear. It's meant to be a less obvious option, but not meant to be hidden (which it isn't - it's the first sentence after the re-confirmation button and the bullet points telling you what exactly you're signing up for).

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tim, did you realize that the first question was for consent to receive emails such as the diyaudio newsletter, second one was for emails relating to the diyAudio store? Basically the same text on both but for different diyAudio entities.

Jason, I just tried the link above and got the following:

Tony.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for the feedback. I've fixed some more bugs that appeared after I reconfigured things yesterday (one of which probably caused the bug you got Tony), redesigned the popup so the unsubscribe link is highlighted in bright blue and can't be missed, and made various other improvements which I think will help make it really obvious what the popup is about and how to choose "no".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.