Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

diyAudio Guides
diyAudio Guides
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2018, 02:00 AM   #1
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

diyAudio Guides
Default diyAudio Guides

The most common complaint about diyAudio I've heard over the years is that you have to often wade through thousands of posts to find out how to build something. Often there are little nuggets of information interspersed over the posts, and it's very easy to miss something. For this reason, getting started with DIY audio has been much harder than it should be, especially for newcomers.

When I originally started diyAudio, it was actually to collate online a list of audio projects people could build. Over the years it's grown into much more than that of course, and I am blessed to be a part of this amazing community. However having a single place to find a project, get the information you need, and start building has always been elusive.

I'm happy to announce a solution for this problem - diyAudio Guides, available at http://guides.diyaudio.com.

Right now it's in "beta" and we're putting in the work to set the communicative and visual standard that others can follow. It's not currently linked from diyAudio.com, nor is it open to the public to contribute. But when it's ready, I'm hoping it will form an integral part of the community, especially for newbies, and it will be open for every member to contribute in the way they feel capable - projects, build guides, construction technique, soldering tips, anything that can help other members realize their DIY dreams.

diyAudio Guides runs on another platform, and has a "SSO" (Single Sign On) that is linked to your diyAudio user ID. When you go to Guides, you should be automatically logged in there, and you can comment straight away on any individual step of a guide (which I think will be very helpful).

The plan is that at the end of each guide the corresponding discussion on diyAudio is pulled through or you are directed back to diyAudio for more detailed discussion. We'll work that out later. Right now, it's a bit of a hack, but once we move to our next forum platform over the next few months, we will be able to custom code a nice solution to deeply integrate Guides into the structure of diyAudio.com itself so it's one cohesive platform.

So.. this is just the first announcement. Right now we've only got one guide in there, that's the Amp Camp Amp March 2018 Build Guide. Pretty soon we'll have all of 6L6's other amazing guides, and over the next few weeks work out any bugs. If you have a guide you'd like to contribute, please get in touch via contact@diyaudio.com - we'd love to have you be a part of this early-stage fleshing-out of diyAudio Guides.

I'm very excited about the future for diyAudio in 2018. New forum software, the diyAudio Guides section, and the store finally (hopefully!) being permanently in stock of beginner level kits to get people started in the hobby. We'll be very busy keeping the engine room of diyAudio running...

If you have any feedback, comments, complaints, or bug reports about diyAudio Guides, please post it in this thread.

Last edited by Jason; 2nd May 2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 2nd May 2018, 03:07 AM   #2
gannaji is online now gannaji  India
diyAudio Member

Very nice and a real boon !
Old 2nd May 2018, 03:08 AM   #3
helitim is offline helitim  Canada
diyAudio Member

This is very exciting. I just had a quick look, and can't wait to see the final result.

Congratulations on a job well done!
Old 2nd May 2018, 03:15 AM   #4
altie is offline altie
diyAudio Member

That's awesome. Here's hoping we can get some good contributions and it takes off.
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:09 AM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

So, no spare time, or life outside of this addiction, then?

We both commiserate with, and applaud your Hurculean efforts - and patience in dealing with the bottom feeders amongst us.
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Noob101 is offline Noob101  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

The page looks great. Maybe a buy now link for the kit/pcb. Also as a newbie i found getting parts some what daunting, a pre made bom for mouser/rs/digikey could be helpful.
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:56 AM   #7
kbergsson is offline kbergsson  Iceland
diyAudio Member

Thats a great initiative
I just built my first transistor amp a First Watt F6. Before that I had assembled some simple electronic gismos, crossovers and some hypex amps. The real challenge was a pair of point to point 300b monoblocks. Wich with help from a Norwegian forum I managed to finish sucessfully. And repair some years later as one of the powertrafos developed an internal short. Regarding the F6 it took a lot of reading, to get an overview and distinguish between what was a really needed to sucessfully build the std version and the various modification suggestions and parts substitution. I would have been totally lost without 6L6s guide(s) (I also read his other guides to better understand how to build, layout etc. ) But I also think I learned a great deal in the prosess And now I have a great sand amp to compete with my diy valve amps. And thanks to this great forum probably not the last amp
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:54 PM   #8
rekterx is offline rekterx  United States
diyAudio Member

As an aspiring newbie (I'm chomping at the bit to pre-order the latest ACA kit tomorrow!) I find this very encouraging. Thanks for actually making the effort to accomodate us neophytes!

As excited as I am to begin building, between having responsbilities that dominate my days and, as much as I might enjoy wading through hundreds, if not thousands, of posts to find an answer to a question that I still might not quite understand, I just run out of time and energy.

Once I clear out a few other projects (including some honey-dos) I know I'll love the project and the new site devoted to newbies. I really appreciate the gesture toward us noobs!
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:57 PM   #9
NealJ is offline NealJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This is an excellent initiative. I can only surmise you have read my, and others, minds.

Whilst very helpful the forum is overwhelming at times when you first join and with no electronics background. As you rightly point out, it can be difficult to assimilate the information when it is spread over sometimes hundreds of posts.

May I add a sugestion for something that would be extremely useful. That would be a simplified explanation as to why certain components are added, what they do in that particular circuit, what problem it is addressing and so on. The links to the threads could provide the more theoretical underpinning for further reading once the basics are grasped.

Thank you again for this beginners resource, it really is appreciated.
Old 3rd May 2018, 02:44 AM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

All kidding aside - apologies for my previous post - looks very nice and clean, and looking forward to more. Heck, I might even be inspired to try a couple of things once my cabinet speaker cabinet building days are over.

I’m guessing somewhere near the top of the project list will be the upcoming B4 crossover, and maybe M2X?

diyAudio GuidesHide this!Advertise here!