Summary of server enhancements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Over the last week the server has undergone many changes in the pursuit of performance. Some of you may be seeing a few lingering problems to do with recent DNS changes but I think as of now things are looking good:

Upgraded and tuned for performance: MySQL, PHP, Cache, Apache, Mod_Pagespeed, forum anti-spam system
Replaced: CDN, Firewall, Backup system
Recoded: Registration system, Enhanced Print Thread
Removed: OpenX
Added: vBulletin (query) optimizer

The gains have been cumulative, and we've now got the lowest server load and fastest pages in a long time. Like almost every website we're vulnerable to DOS attacks but that's just a part of being on the internet - the most important thing is that our day in day out performance is now back where it should be - fast.

I've just implemented another round of changes to squeeze some more blood out of the performance stone, including "Lazy Loading" images and various combining of CSS and Javascript. If you experience any problems post them in the Forum Problems forum.

If the site appears down for you try the following website to check if it's up for everybody else:

Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up?

If things are going slow for you try the following website to check if it's slow for everybody else:

Website speed test

Please post all bugs and problems in Forum Problems.

WHEN POSTING BUG REPORTS PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR BROWSER AND THE EXACT VERSION OF YOUR BROWSER (Usually found in the help->about menu). THANK YOU.

Cheers and thanks.

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Tony - yes, we're now very fast.

Dude - please refer to my response in the new bugs thread. I think your DNS may be slow to update, but please continue to give feedback so we can work out what the problem is for you - it's not likely you are the only member having this problem. We are certainly serving "basic website images" such as icons etc at the moment - over half a million yesterday with a 96% CDN cache hit rate (down from 1.5 million the day before with mod_pagespeed turned off - it's saving us a lot of image requests!).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.