The diyAudio Store (USA) soon to stock chassis – requesting your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Nice enclosures. What about us in europe?? will there be the same in our shop? Who is the italian producer if we can order from them direct??

Huh, US only?

Hello Europeans! If you're in Europe you can order direct from Modu. For us to ship from our London (Shipwire) warehouse, we'd have to pay for shipping from Italy to London, insurance, receiving fees, warehousing fees, merchant fees on your purchase, picking and packing fees, reshipping, and then dealing with returns. The margins are too thin to warrant the risks.

As Andrew says, there is plenty of opportunity for us to arrange a special deal for Europeans in the future, direct ship from Modu, some kind of win/win for everyone for a standardized product.

For now, we're "just" looking at sea shipping a full pallet of chassis from Italy to the USA. The size of the order combined with the sea shipping is what makes this possible financially. Anything less than a full pallet and it's not worth the trouble. There are a lot of risks involved here and I'm personally betting the cash on this to see if it can add a renewable, repeatable revenue stream for diyAudio. I think it can, but we'll be taking baby steps and this is the first one.

Thanks for bringing the plight of Europeans to our attention. We'll try to come up with something for you as soon as we can. I've updated the thread title to make it USA specific.

Last edited:
EU residents can order from Modushop directly, I don't think that's an issue.

As a side note, in another audio-related forum members can use a certain "code" when ordering from Modushop to get an extra discount.
That could be an option to consider for diyAudio members (and I'm sure it'd keep EU-based members happy as well). ;)

elaborate on this

What i'm saying is that this thread is a diyA initiative to enable US/CAN folks to obtain a decent and smart looking amp case that suits their needs.

A DIY fruitcake is someone who either favors it cheaper and worse, or cheaper and better.
I understood that you were the one talking about money.

But you're welcome to enter my world, cheaper, better, but involves a whole lot more than a 100 dollar metal cutting shear (i've got one in the garage that does half an inch of steel)

Examples ;
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...ds-improvements-stability-14.html#post2348381
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...ds-improvements-stability-14.html#post2348396
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...ds-improvements-stability-14.html#post2348433

I buy Modushop parts too, have been for years, can even order them local with a telephone call if i have the desire ( Electronics Cabinets )
Their complete cases i don't need, can do a whole lot better myself after 40 years in the metal business, and cheaper too.

But this thread isn't about me, and not about you.
If you want cheaper, plenty of sources for that.

surprise me

Bottom is a universal case, 1/8" bent alloy plates, 12.5" W x 10" D x 2.5" H.
Surplus, paid 5 bucks each, have about a dozen or so.

Middle is a sub-chassis, 5/64" bent alloy, NOS, got a few dozen of them.
Came along with their 2-part steel cases, four dozen output stage heatsinks (including a mounted PCB with output devices and 3W wirewounds ), several yards of NOS heatsinks, for $70 total.

The Modushop front panel on top has a more luxurious price tag.

One does not need to have a hundred thousand dollar barn (which i do) for that, merely an open eye and a creative mind.
YMMV.

(i majored in maritime economics at polytech-u, i applaude any commercial initiative. If Jason didn't at some point in time, i'd kick him in the balls, first chance i'd catch him by himself in the john's)

Attachments

• Junk.jpg
    Junk.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 659
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I believe I have made my points. Over and out.

Well, almost :)

UKToecutter. Have you thought about that there is a lot of able people out there fully able to do it but just haven't been described how or why and what to count on regarding income? I haven't seen much of this "low end" tutorials laying around... A few square meters and a few tools.

I have a star below my picture and will continue to keep it that way until I find out that vendors can shut out a competitor with lower prizes if DIYAUDIO gets enough pay for it - then I am out.

Brgds

Turbon,

I hope I didn't offend you.
My point was that many DIYers do not have the skills to make their own enclosures. The fact that DIYaudio are making some predrilled enclosures available should be lauded not condemed.
Initiatives such as this will allow some people the opportunity to 'finish' a project. I look at the shelf above my desk and I see many populated PCB's that just need an enclosure to finish them off!!

If we were all able to make our own enclosures then there would not be a need for anybody to sell them.
I would like to be able to, but I feel that I'm not.
Also, when I finish a project I've spent hundreds of pounds on I like it to look the part too.

Heh, I spared the good part for You Zen Mod.

Many seem to be a bit frightend about my posts - and I don't get it. Are you all here to make a buck? That would make some sense.

But anyway - is there some real community efforts out there where people hold hands and share findings that saves them a buck instead of putting it into the vendors area here?

Brgds

That's getting a bit OT, perhaps you should make a new thread?

Back on topic:

I like what's currently planned and hope that the all aluminum option is available :)

Eddy currents can form in the bottom plates, due to proximity.

The multi-hole base-plate has issues in some minor ways but one of the advantages is that eddy current development is notably impeded.

I suggest sending along an extra foot and associated screw with each chassis, so that given extra footer can be added to a given (neat central) point in that chassis base plate.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've used their cases for a few projects (Bijou, b22 etc). They are real nice.
I tend to order with the minimal thickness front and rear panels (I don't use them) and get thicker ones drilled and etched by FrontPanel Express.
I've not yet used the dissapante model but I know what a pain in the backside it is to drill and tap holes, especially blind ones in a heatsink.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Jason,

Additional case upgrade offerings could include silk-screen plates that have the machined holes for the power inlet, fuse, power switch (or combo) and xlr/rca plugs that either includes those parts or provide a BOM. I would see these matching up to the various boards being sold. I would prefer this to be an upgrade option to avoid purchasing two rear-plates. So for the 5U/400 chassis, you could order: blank, mono or stereo rear-plate. The blank rear-plate probably should be aluminum so folks can send that off to CNC shops like Front Panel Express. I think you could even extend this concept to the front panel and the feet for the bottom plate.

I realize not everyone will want the same features or layout when purchasing a complete chassis, but offering a solution that would match the boards being sold at the store would be a much welcome value and differentiate the chassis from Modu and other vendors. The value would be beneficial to those not interested in fabricating/modding a chassis for financial, shop real estate and/or skill reasons.

BTW: I have the 5U/500mm chassis and there should be additional bracing for the bottom plate if aluminum, perhaps the steel, DIY friendly base or the smaller 400mm form-factor provides enough support. Also, I don't prefer the feet from modu/hifi2000, the slip-on hard plastic outer shell will scratch furniture and doesn't actually attach to the chassis.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Eer, grandmaster-J, how about deleting mine too, have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I try not to have too heavy a hand :) I think discussion of the price, difficulty or techniques of drilling holes is kind of on topic as people need to decide if the PTH option is worth their while, and your post showing your surplus bought stuff is also kind of on topic (maybe not). Just trying to keep things cleanish..

Status
Not open for further replies.