Server Upgrade Next Week

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

Alpogee, I agree.

We must look at 'single point of failure'. If you on a regular basis take snapshots of the entire server and in case of failure the hosting company could fire up a virtual “diyAudio” during repair it should work.

If a service depends on one single server 'single point of failure' must point to the actual server.
I that's the case here I would strongly recommend a server that is built for that purpose from start where power supplies, fans, and disks can be exchanged live without any downtime at all. Everything should also be monitored. Of course the initial cost will be higher but the reward will be lot less trouble in the long run.

But on the other hand I know nothing about the actual diyadio server environment. J

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thank you kindly for your donations Steve and Anders. We'll have a look at things early next year and see if we're in a position to buy our own hardware. We're not at the moment.

In my experience moving to the cloud is the next step up from that but it's not economical until you're need quite a few servers. The human administration overhead costs more than the savings in hardware.

I've now spent two very long days and nights setting up the new server and it's ready enough to roll. There may be some rough edges but we'll sort them out as quickly as possible. Expect some downtime tomorrow!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.