• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

6P3P modded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought one of these from eBay ready built, so don't know if these are supplied as a kit to the seller on eBay by silicon ray so apologies if Ray is not involved in these deals. Firstly there was no earth connected to the IEC socket so that was my first job before switching on. So anyone buying ready made check for an earth. I used this amp in my office system and also took it to a bake off where it was well received. After some time it had a rustling sound and it wasn't a valve so my friend John Howes said to bring it over while I was doing some air conditioning work for him and he would look at it. John found a loose connection and a dry solder joint which he sorted. He also changed some caps for Russian paper in oil ones he uses and wired in a resistor to reduce the voltage to the 220v mains transformer, this reduced the heater voltage to a better level. John commented that you couldn't buy the parts in the UK for the cost of this amp. He then rewired it to triode mode which reduced the power but is fine for my horns. We listened to it through voxativ ampeggio due and there was nothing in it compared to his yamamoto. Oh and we changed the calves to brimar 6L6. Just shows what can be achieved on a small budget.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.