• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Potential Group Buy - Aluminium enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I've been in contact with the friendly folks over at SiliconRay regarding an aluminium enclosure for my (and a friend's) Hypex NCore amps and they have agreed to produce a custom run of a smaller RE3222-style chassis, if we manage to get a small batch (15-20 enclosures) ordered.

attachment.php

The group-buy enclosure will be 200x200x120, side panels 8mm (!) thick and top/bottom ones 4mm (so internal dimensions will be ~184x184x112).
This is a cube-like 3U design, short enough to fit in most racks/shelves but also tall enough not to look funny or "disappear" when you use it for amps and place it on the floor next to your loudspeakers.
Moreover, it's ratio of height to width/depth in conjunction with it's curvy design make for an aesthetically pleasing, unique enclosure.
[Frankly, "modushop"-style enclosures were great 4-5 years ago but now 99% of DIYers are using them which kinda spoils the fun if you're not ready to seriously customize them via FPE/Schaeffer or whatever...]

A horizontal and a vertical panel will be included so that the builder can choose his own layout/arrangement inside the enclosure (see attached sketches below).
Panels will ~183x183x3 for horizontal and ~183x123 for vertical, 3mm thick, with precut corners (to fit "around" the brackets you can see in the internal pics)

Regarding price, we are looking at $105 per enclosure. I believe it's great for such an enclosure.
Shipping will be ~$35-$40 for a single enclosure and I've been told charges scale well if someone gets more enclosures (I'll have to find out, hopefully not the hard way, since I'll be getting more than a few of those :eek:).

Our $105 get us:
  • 1 x RE3222-style (200x200x120) enclosure
  • 1 x Horizontal Internal Panel, 3mm thick
  • 1 x Vertical Internal Panel, 3mm thick
  • 4 x extra brackets (like the ones shown in the internal pics) for mounting either of the internal panels
  • All hex screws etc. required.

Since this was originally designed for my and a friend's NCore amp, I have attached a few variations I did regarding layouts of NCore+SMPS600 that could fit in said enclosure (using exact dimensions of course).
You'll see you can fit from 1 to 3+ channels of NC400s in there with proper arrangement and smart use of the vertical panel. I've even managed to fit a dual mono amp (2xNC400s, 2xSMPS600s) inside, but I bet wiring will be a challenge on that one!

These are only a reference and, obviously, a subset of possible layouts and uses. You can use these for any project you see fit.

I'll probably grab ~10 those for me and friends (maybe more), so we are about 6-10 enclosures short of the quota.
Once we reach that, no one is stopping us to order more of course - the more the merrier - but we need at least that many to get SiliconRay to list the product on their website (where we'll all order once we get this GB rolling, paying by Paypal etc.).
Factory reports a lead time of 3 weeks which I believe is acceptable.

Please let me know of potential interest.

Attachments

• DSCN9342_R.jpg
    DSCN9342_R.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 3,119
  • Panels_Info.JPG
    Panels_Info.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 792
  • SR_200_Var.JPG
    SR_200_Var.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 818
  • DSCN9361_R.jpg
    DSCN9361_R.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,150
  • DSCN9358_R.jpg
    DSCN9358_R.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 2,933
  • DSCN9352_R.jpg
    DSCN9352_R.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,221
Last edited:
are the extra internal panels predrilled to suit the threaded rod for the mounting brackets? i presume thats how we use the internal panels with the brackets? i might be in for 1 - 2 unfortunately its slightly too small for my dac, as the NTD1 IV stage heatsink is too long, as its 200mm

Like qusp asked, I'm interested in how the vert or horiz panels are mounted, is the horiz panel fixed at 60mm, or is there some adjustment that can be made?

Are the additional brackets more of the same type used to fix bottom/top panels to the enclosure? If so is it up to user to drill/tap the holes for mounting these?

I would be interested in 1 of these, but would like to know answers to above before committing 100%.

Hi guys,

are the extra internal panels predrilled to suit the threaded rod for the mounting brackets? i presume thats how we use the internal panels with the brackets?

Like qusp asked, I'm interested in how the vert or horiz panels are mounted, is the horiz panel fixed at 60mm, or is there some adjustment that can be made?

Are the additional brackets more of the same type used to fix bottom/top panels to the enclosure? If so is it up to user to drill/tap the holes for mounting these?

Nope, the internal panels are not pre-drilled, nor are the sides of the enclosure. We'll have to tap/drill these ourselves.
It's more flexible this way so you can mount the panels at whatever height (horizontal panel) or width/depth (vertical panel) you prefer - or use neither.
I actually didn't want to increase the cost any more than needed nor sacrifice flexibility by going for an "NCore specific" pre-drilled enclosure.

Mounting will indeed be via the four extra brackets that'll be included. These will be like the ones already supplied with the enclosure and which you can see in the attached pic - see green arrows.
[We can probably get away with installing just two of those brackets in the case of the horizontal panel or even one in the case of the vertical, but we'll have to see the actual enclosure to decide.]

Obviously the thickness of the side panels allows for mounting of the horizontal panel with no visible holes on the outside. ;)
Of course one could use an alternative method if he feels like it.

To sum up, the only parts that are drilled are the ones needed to assemble the enclosure (i.e. everything seen in the pics above) plus the extra brackets.
Also, the vertical panel will have its four corners cut (to accommodate the brackets needed to mount top and bottom panel) and the horizontal panel will have rounded corners.

i might be in for 1 - 2 unfortunately its slightly too small for my dac, as the NTD1 IV stage heatsink is too long, as its 200mm

Hope Owen goes through with the next NTD1 group buy. I'm watching with interest. ;)

Indeed 200mm is the maximum width/depth but the usable (internal) dimensions are 184mm.
Theoretically (as I haven't seen IRL the enclosure yet) I believe you could actually hide the heatsink inside the enclosure by remounting the bottom brackets higher inside the case and dremeling off an equal part of the curvy brackets (see red box in the attached pic).
That assumes you are willing to shorten the heatsink by 16mm and, most importantly, that the left over internal height (originally 112mm) will be enough for the electronics!

Attachments

• DSCN9361_marked.jpg
    DSCN9361_marked.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
To clarify, all panels (side,top,bottom) and brackets are pre-drilled, as seen in the pics, since these are all necessary to assemble the enclosure.
It's just that there are no extra... drilling provisions for mounting the internal panels.

Please feel free to add yourselves to the list.

hmm i cant say i understand why, predrilling the spare internal panel to match the threaded holes that are already there in the brackets would enable the horizontal internal panel to be mounted at any height with threaded rod screwed into either the bottom or top bracket and a couple of nuts. doing that myself accurately with hand tools however will be near impossible. how much more flexible does it need to be?

see what i mean? the bracket has threaded holes in it for bolting through the floor and ceiling, the brackets are quite chunky so any bolt will still leave enough thread to screw some rod into.....as you can see

268985d1330432554-potential-group-buy-aluminium-enclosures-dscn9358_r.jpg

Last edited:
no i'm not prepared to shorten the NTD1 heatsink, so it will never house my dac. besides the only way to make that work would be to buy 3 of them, use one for an external psu and the other 2 for the 2 x 2 channel balanced dacs and various electronics

Update:
  • TheShaman ~10
  • jbm 2
  • talkinghead 1-2
  • mr_push_pull 1
  • guyv 2

Total: ~16-17

Jeremy, are you referring to having the horizontal internal panel pre-drilled to match the bracket holes (see attached sketch)?
Sorry if I'm being thick; I haven't had my morning coffee yet. :p

Attachments

• PanelD.JPG
    PanelD.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 200
Update:
  • TheShaman ~10
  • jbm 2
  • talkinghead 1-2
  • mr_push_pull 1
  • guyv 2
  • Alex Zapantis 2

Total: ~18-19

Hi Shaman, will these be anodised, if so what colours will be available?

Hi Luke,
According to SiliconRay, the external parts of the enclosure are sandblasted, hard anodized in the natural silverish color you see on the pics.
I discussed with them the option of having some in black (per request) but, unfortunately, then they'd need 15-20 enclosures of each color to make it a viable option. :(

Jeremy, are you referring to having the horizontal internal panel pre-drilled to match the bracket holes (see attached sketch)?
Sorry if I'm being thick; I haven't had my morning coffee yet. :p

haha :D

yes thats correct, thats what i meant, it wouldnt have to be all of them, just enough to make a sturdy platform. dont worry it takes a couple of espressos in the morning before my synapse's start firing properly too.

they could be threaded holes in the platform and do away with the need for any nuts, or plain holes and a nut each side could fix it in place. could be suspended from above, or elevated from below with threaded rod without taking up much room, or needing to puncture the walls to fix it in place. the brackets are threaded are they? if so they could be used together with the holes to fix in place sturdily. it just seems to mne to be a logical way of leveraging the pre-existing structure to have total and continuously adjustable, strong fixation of the internal 'floor'

this would seem to be a pretty straight forward thing for them to do, but not so easy for a diyer with a hand drill

Last edited:
Update:
  • TheShaman ~10
  • jbm 2
  • talkinghead 1-2
  • mr_push_pull 1
  • guyv 2
  • Alex Zapantis 2

Total: ~18-19

Hi Luke,
According to SiliconRay, the external parts of the enclosure are sandblasted, hard anodized in the natural silverish color you see on the pics.
I discussed with them the option of having some in black (per request) but, unfortunately, then they'd need 15-20 enclosures of each color to make it a viable option. :(

Thanks Shaman, they are very nice cases, they don't however fit either my preamp or dac. I could build an external case for the transformers guess.

they could be threaded holes in the platform and do away with the need for any nuts, or plain holes and a nut each side could fix it in place.

They don't even need to be threaded I think (panel is only 3mm thick after all).
I'll see if I can make it happen with no extra charge.

But I didn't insist because thought it'd be pretty easy to open these holes.
You just use one of the brackets as a reference to see where you need to drill. Of course a drill press (starting from about 90 euros where I live) or even a drill base (~20 euros) are a big plus to have - necessary if you ask me, even if you do minimal case work.

Thanks Shaman, they are very nice cases, they don't however fit either my preamp or dac. I could build an external case for the transformers guess.

Thanks Luke.
I'm trying to see if I can fit my Buffalo DAC in there as well - it'd be cool to have it in a matching enclosure to those of my amps.
I think it'll be feasible if I use the horizontal panel to make two "floors" and mount the Salas on the side panels. Will have to look into it a bit more.

Attachments

• tb_lg_lg_woodtek-lg.jpg
    tb_lg_lg_woodtek-lg.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 461
  • 1377337.jpeg
    1377337.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 472
i only have a dremel plus press attachment and hand drill, dont have room for a full workshop along with the room my studio, stock storage, parts storage and electronics workshop takes up (I work from home). i'll grab a proper press one of these days but i tend to spend a lot more on tools than that. its not that easy to get decent metric standoffs and standoffs arent what i would call a sturdy or flexible way to mount the platform. i'll leave you guys to it though i think, its just not suitable for anything i'm building except for perhaps the central Rasberry Pi MCU

@ The Shaman: I see the optimism for putting the dac, plus NTD1 and salas regs in one hasnt faded, wait till the reality hits. i'm sure its possible, but trust me on this it will not result in a neat layout, you need room to move to do that unless the entire thing is your design from the beginning including the electronics.

I'm also interested in one or two:eek:

How about a bent plane for the internal mounting? with about 10mm bent on two side so that it can be mounted on the side wall by screw. That's the easiest way.

BTW do your guys need carbide drill bits for DIY? We have very good source. It cut steel like bread.

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
If you're a Dremel fan, the Dremel Workstation is cool.
Of course having a drill press as well is better, but I know what you mean about space. :(

I see the optimism for putting the dac, plus NTD1 and salas regs in one hasnt faded, wait till the reality hits.

I was actually referring to my current Buffalo (32S). :p
NTD1 version would need two of those I believe. I'm buying spare enclosures so we'll see how it goes. ;)

How about a bent plane for the internal mounting? with about 10mm bent on two side so that it can be mounted on the side wall by screw. That's the easiest way.

I think the most solid way is the one with the brackets.
It's the same way the top and bottom panels are already mounted, but at a height the builder decides (or not - I believe many people won't even mount the horizontal panel).
It would help to have the internal panels pre-drilled but I don't believe it's that hard to DIY (using some masking tape and the bracket as a guide).

I'm also interested in one or two:eek:

Actually, If it's not too much on expense for you guys, I suggest you order some more and put them on sale (in case someone doesn't make it in time for the Group Buy). ;)

Speaking of which, I think we should set a deadline for sign up. Friday, 9th of March should be OK.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.