• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Potential Group Buy - Aluminium enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just wondering how an insert like this is easily fitted into alloy. i nearly bought a couple of the minisemi enclosures until i realized how much space the wooden panels wasted internally. its not really cool to drop in uninvited to dis the supplier and then promote an enclosure of your own in a group buy thread that already has a supplier, rather UN cool actually. i somehow doubt very much you would come close to matching the price.

must be hard times for such desperate acts?

Last edited:
just wondering how an insert like this is easily fitted into alloy. i nearly bought a couple of the minisemi enclosures until i realized how much space the wooden panels wasted internally. its not really cool to drop in uninvited to dis the supplier and then promote an enclosure of your own in a group buy thread that already has a supplier, rather UN cool actually. i somehow doubt very much you would come close to matching the price.

must be hard times for such desperate acts?

All good points, Jeremy.

Btw, if brackets are good enough for EUVL, a known perfectionist, I believe they're good enough for us as well. :p
[Attached pic is from EUVL's F5X enclosure]

The corner brackets pictured bellow where my initial request to SiliconRay but then I saw internal pics of the SR enclosure.
It was then obvious they already included the other type ("solid" brackets) and thus asked them to include some more of those instead. They actually look "cleaner", IMHO, and take up less space of the panel they're mounted on.

Attachments

• 110524 structure.jpg
    110524 structure.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Ultraserts

FYI

For mr_push_pull and Luke,

Here the catalogue pages from spaenaur,for the brass ultraserts or also call Dodge inserts,I have also include Helicoils.
For aluminum installation you will need a 1 ton press.Maybe you can find another way,theres many video and information(How to install) on Youtube.

Attachments

• dodgeinsert.pdf
    30.5 KB · Views: 103
  • helicoil.pdf
    93.7 KB · Views: 107
  • ezlok.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 100
I'm not sure I'll use them (hopefully I won't need to tighten/untighten those screws 10 times) but the suggestion is well taken. I was thinking about using epoxy to hold them in place, some fastener locking compounds get so hard that it's the bolt who gives up first.
oh and the Helicoil idea crossed my mind too.

later edit: since most people may not be familiar with this, Helicoil is a smart way to repair stripped (female) threads, often encountered in automotive use. it's basically a steel spring that you thread into the enlarged hole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert
http://www.helicoil.com.sg/Pictures/About-Helicoil-Stripped-Repaired-Hole.jpg
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/222493940/Helicoil_thread_insert.jpg

Last edited:
i only have a dremel plus press attachment and hand drill, dont have room for a full workshop along with the room my studio, stock storage, parts storage and electronics workshop takes up (I work from home). i'll grab a proper press one of these days but i tend to spend a lot more on tools than that. its not that easy to get decent metric standoffs and standoffs arent what i would call a sturdy or flexible way to mount the platform. i'll leave you guys to it though i think, its just not suitable for anything i'm building except for perhaps the central Rasberry Pi MCU

@ The Shaman: I see the optimism for putting the dac, plus NTD1 and salas regs in one hasnt faded, wait till the reality hits. i'm sure its possible, but trust me on this it will not result in a neat layout, you need room to move to do that unless the entire thing is your design from the beginning including the electronics.

Time to get rid of that kitchen and make place for that drill press! :D

I'm sure your wife would fully agree with this. If she does not, just tell her Pinnocchio says it's ok! :D

Do

Because Aluminum is a soft material,you will destroy you tap after 10,15 or 20 time of screwing and unscrewing your screws.in aerospace we always use solid dodge brass insert,It last!

I'm a qualified aircraft maintenance enginer and have worked on Boeing, Airbus, Pratt & Whitney, GE, Rolls Royce, etc. And have never seen one of those brass inserts......

Helicoils are very common on aircraft, but using anything other than a simple tapped hole on an enclosure like these would be overkill to the point of stupidity.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

aero grade aluminum such as 7025 is almost as hard as steel. 6061 is much softer but still much harder than pure aluminum. If the enclosures are made of pure al, it's true that the screws won't be usable after several screw in/out. hardness of 6061 (which is the material for most our product) is more than enough for such products.

This doens't means the pure al is crappy material. The best material is the one that can meet requirments at the right cost.

I'm a qualified aircraft maintenance enginer and have worked on Boeing, Airbus, Pratt & Whitney, GE, Rolls Royce, etc. And have never seen one of those brass inserts......

Helicoils are very common on aircraft, but using anything other than a simple tapped hole on an enclosure like these would be overkill to the point of stupidity.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Sorry for being so quiet in the past few days but things have been crazy at work.
We are ready to go on with the group buy since we have more than adequate numbers.

Due to more than a few requests, we had a minor last-minute change:
We have increased the size of the enclosure to 220x220x120 (204x204x112 internal dimensions).

Truth be told, these extra 2cm of depth and width do allow for more flexibility since one can now fit alternative SMPSs other than the SMPS600 (e.g. Audiopower DPS600) and/or a dual-mono NCore build (2xNC400 + 2xSMPSs) without having to pull off crazy stunts with the wiring or even fit more amplifier channels.
I suppose it'll also be better for people using these for something different (DACs, preamps, whatever).
Extra size for enclosure, brackets and inside panels bring the total price to $115 per enclosure (so $10 more). Shipping is the same.

Hope everyone is alright with that!

To allow for last minute changes (because of the size adjustment and whatnot), we'll wait until tomorrow night before closing the GB.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.