• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

★★Free JLH Hifi Headphone Amp PCB, 0.008% THD★★

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here you can see some photos, and what I got from the scope.
I can see a sinewave to the Mhz region.
I am thinking to put a small, like 60p, cap between base collector on the 15030.

Attachments

• IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
This is a great little circuit !!!
I was looking for something like this.

I have now modified this circuit for a higher current and I have it doing about 9.2v peak into 2 ohms, 8.73v peak in to a 1 ohm load, and 6v peak into .5 ohm and will even do a .25 ohm load.
All in class a mode operation in a simulation using Circuitmaker 2000.

With no errors!

I was beginning to think that this was nearly impossible on a +/- 12v supply.

All I did was add 4 more pairs of output devices and juggle a few resistor values.

In this example I have the bias set at 3 amps per device so each one is dissipating 36 watts approximately half of what an MJE3055 can do.

I will try to build this some time in the near future and put it to the test.

But if any one is interested I can post the schematic at any time.
It would be very interesting to know what kind of performance this thing has and could do with the modifications.

Keep on DIYin' !!!

jer :)

I guess I was a little over excited in my last post! :)

But I was thrilled to see such a low THD figure and in researching the JLH circuit I have found that what I had discovered a lot of DIYer's are already doing this! he,he

I have been looking for a way to build some Class a amplifiers for a reasonable cost and I had found that this may be the ticket vs the Nelson Pass designs.

Both seem to be very popular only I am not willing to track down and pay the price for some jfets that are out of production.

These use BJT's and I already have every thing I need to build these in my box of spare parts, and will still have great performance on the cheap.
Particularly for driving my ESL's.

I had already known of the JLH design but it wasn't until this thread that had got me hooked on the modernized versions of this design that I have found.

So far I have created a design the uses 8 pairs of output devices and is good to 1 or 2 ohms on a +/- 30V supply with little changes to the original circuit.
The design is the same and I could probably build it with new parts for around $10 for just the amps components (using the MJE3055 at $.39 each).
That is alot of amplifier for the price. :)

Thank You !!!

jer :)

RE1506 is the ideal enclosure for the headphone amp. One 20W transformer, 2 board, RCA connector, ICE connectors, potentiometer, 6.35mm jack and switch can be easily fitted into it without any mod. There's still enough room for a small power board with a rectifier and 2 big caps.

dual 9V toroid transformer is also available for only $18.

270385d1331091207-special-price-high-quality-enclosure-dscn9413.jpg

Hi everybdy
Managed to finnish the 2 board but I have to small issues...
First is the bias and off set are not steady, they change up and down (from +/-0.00 to +/-30-40 mV (offset) and from 150mA to 220/230ma (bias) for no reason.
The second one is, if I touch the heatsinks the offset changes +/-20mV.
All the components are the ones on the schematic, R10 is 0.47Ohms and output transistores are the 2SC2238
Power supply is +/-12V regulated.
Any Ideas ?

Ric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.