• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

6p3p tube amplifier kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i have built my Amp. ready
and it sounded good at first Time.
Modus when building: Audyn Caps for coupling , the original Caps goes to the big caps.
The Poti for Input regulation i have Not Build in.
Sounds very good and crisp without any hum.

Can i change the 6p3p Tube to a russian 6n3cE wich is an 6L6GC Clone?

Best Regards and seasons Greetings

DucTom

Probably you can I bought Russian 6L6WXT+ tubes first then went to RCA 5881 NOS (best sound).

Good job on the build.

Got any pics?

Cheers,
Bob

Hello Merry Christmas for all.
I had bought 6N1+6P3P from Siliconray one year ago (more or less)
I am very happy with my amp, sound is beautiful for me and the price is very nice.
My problem is:
I can not put my hand over the OPT after 1 hour, it is hot hot hot very hot...
I think in this way, the life of the OPT will be very short.
I am considering change to TRIODE mode if is posible (¿less current?)
6.5 W is to much for my small room, probabily 3W is enough.
Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Siliconray,

First of al a happy new year!

I've been enjoying my amp for almost a year now. Only recently one channel has started to fade. It is significatly quieter than the other channel. Switching pre-tube or end-tubes does not change anything. What could be the problem? Do you have any idea's what to look for?

Thank you

Siliconray,

First of al a happy new year!

I've been enjoying my amp for almost a year now. Only recently one channel has started to fade. It is significatly quieter than the other channel. Switching pre-tube or end-tubes does not change anything. What could be the problem? Do you have any idea's what to look for?

Thank you

Get an ALPS volume pot or even better get rid of the volume pot all together and replace with a resistor.

You have a DMM - measure your voltages on the driver (6N1) pin 1 & 3 and pin 6 & 8, on your 6L6/6P3 measure pins 3, 4 & 8 both tubes... careful high voltages apply, dont NOT short to a heater pin with a DMM probe.

Cheers,
Bob

Get an ALPS volume pot or even better get rid of the volume pot all together and replace with a resistor.

You have a DMM - measure your voltages on the driver (6N1) pin 1 & 3 and pin 6 & 8, on your 6L6/6P3 measure pins 3, 4 & 8 both tubes... careful high voltages apply, dont NOT short to a heater pin with a DMM probe.

Cheers,
Bob
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the tip. I'll change the pot and do the measurements

Haven't seen your last post, sorry for that. Did you measure the temperature? If it's 70 celsius degree that's not too hot for a power transformer in tube amp. The transformer has no over budget power for it's application. You can also adjustment the bias current of the 6P3P to a lower value. The output power will be smaller but the transformer will keep cool.

Thanks siliconray.
Is the second time I write a post, is the second time you ignore me.
My OPT still runs at 70 celsius degrees.

Thank you again

Yes the pot is also a source of problem. Check it first before checking the capacitors.

Cheers,
Bob

Hei,

Thanks. PS is not a problem, I have Hammond 373BX ready for this.

How about output transformers, KT88 suggests 5k, this kit has 3.5k.

-jouni-
Are you going to keep the power supply as designed ? With a few changes to the schematic you could build a nice KT88 SE amp there but you really would benefit from ~400Vdc. Be sure all your caps and the choke/transformers can handle the extra voltage/current. 450v caps are ok, check the spec on the choke. 3.5K OPT will work with the kt88 but the current will be more depending on your bias, which I would expect you will be changing ... and you'll probably need larger cathode resistors, both in voltage and resistance 500ohm 10w is what I would use, those are 3x the size of the supplied resistors. Also I'd change the first cap to a poly cap like a Solen 10uF 650V one, 2nd and 3rd cap will be ok but I'd test the uF on the 2nd cap or just buy a new better one 220-330uF 450V.

Cheers,
Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.