Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Siliconray Online Electronics Store Amplifier boards, HiFi components, tubes and all kinds of electronics for the DIYer from Siliconray

6p3p tube amplifier kit
6p3p tube amplifier kit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2017, 10:20 PM   #241
Simbad is offline Simbad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, I built the amp and after checking the wiring and voltages, it works wonderfully and sounds really nice. The only thing of note is the 6n1 cathode voltage in the schematic is 1.7v and 100v plate but mine is measuring 2.2v and 120v, is this too high?

I also notice a slight blue glow at the base of the Chinese 6p3p's anode plate where they meet the mica insulation which gets brighter with higher volumes. Any concerns?
Old 14th October 2017, 10:53 PM   #242
brubru52 is offline brubru52
diyAudio Member

What happened to siliconray, are they still in business?
When I go to siliconray.com they seems to be in the construction business not audio.
Old 8th November 2017, 12:14 PM   #243
wdecho is offline wdecho  United States
diyAudio Member

6p3p tube amplifier kit
I decided to give this kit a try after not having built a tube amplifier this year.

DIY Tube Amplifier Kit 6P3P + 6N8P Single Ended Tube Power Amplifier Kit | eBay

It went together pretty straight forward but with 2 feedback networks I did have oscillation. I eliminated the one from the OPT to driver tube and decreased the value of the resistor going from output tube to driver tube to have adequate feedback for this pentode amplifier and this cured the problem. I do not understand why there are two feedback circuits and may someone can fill me in on why. Upon receiving the kit I was pleasantly surprised to find a NOS Russian 5U4U rectifier tube and NOS Russian 6H8C for the driver tubes. The output tubes were Chinese 6P3P and they did sound OK but I swapped them for some NOS Russian 6P3S's with an improvement in sound. I am very impressed with the quality of the OPT's for such a very inexpensive kit. Stainless steel chassis with holes already drilled, decent iron,tubes and Chinese parts for $192. shipped. As far as sound, very good with nice bass. I measured 4.5 watts at clipping with a nice looking square wave at 1Kz. A touch of ringing I am not too concerned about at the moment. The square wave falls apart above 10K hz which can be expected with inexpensive OPT but the sine waves look good from 20hz to 20K hz. The 4.5 watts is far stronger than the figure. I do own very efficient horns but even with my 85db test speakers the amplifier had authority and I could not detect clipping at a very high volume in my kitchen. Very satisfied with the value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030731.JPG (543.9 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg P1030727.JPG (545.9 KB, 405 views)
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:24 PM   #244
mr scratch is offline mr scratch  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, I'm about to take the plunge on Raindance's schematic.
Can anyone confirm if there are 4 - 22uf 450v caps on this, one each for plate 1-6 on input driver, and one each on b+ g2, or maybe this is one shared like the original schematic.
Raindance, hopefully you can confirm if your out there.
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:57 PM   #245
Simbad is offline Simbad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There's two 22uF 450v caps in that circuit, one shared on the driver plates and one on the grid supply. I've built a variation of that circuit using a 6BZ7 and two 6BW6 into a pair of Tomiko OPT's with great results.
Old 29th November 2017, 07:52 PM   #246
mr scratch is offline mr scratch  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks, for that Simbad
Old 11th December 2017, 06:01 PM   #247
hbc is offline hbc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I got one of these a few years ago, but was non very happy with the sound, a bit rough and waffly. it seems that my version is the same circuit as raindance circuit. I tested it was running about 6 db of feedback. I changed the feedback resistor to 1k (was 2k), and it is now running at 10dB and is quite listenable now, nice and clean and tight. interestingly this feedback ratio should be back to the 10k - 1k that is mentioned earlier.
Old 6th January 2018, 09:26 PM   #248
jean michel is offline jean michel  France
diyAudio Member

hello all ...

i build the kit 5Z3P / 6P3P / 6N1 ... and replace the tube ... GZ 32 / EL 300 / 6N2P-EV , change the résistor 330 Ohms to +/- 500 Ohms for EL 300 ( mode penthode ) , change résistor 47 Kohms to 100 Kohms for 6N2P .

not feed back for use and not test power max ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0968.JPG (440.7 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0970.JPG (444.0 KB, 306 views)
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:17 PM   #249
mcdm is offline mcdm
diyAudio Member

hello if my speakers are 4ohms, shouldn't the feedback be taken from the 4ohm trafo tap instead of 8ohms?
Old 14th July 2018, 05:24 AM   #250
seth1 is offline seth1
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Ive just built the 6p3p amp and all working well except one side has bad distortion, both 4 and 8 ohm, ive switched the tubes around, checked the wiring, switched over blue and red coming from that OPT and still there, Other side is working fine, any thoughts on what it could be? Thanks for any help
Seth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new 6n1+6p3p asm.jpg (210.0 KB, 88 views)

6p3p tube amplifier kitHide this!Advertise here!