• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

6j4+6p6 hifi preamplifier kit!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Sled

It seems the one in your link is similar to the tube in the kit.

Do you have trouble in tracking your package? what did you order? If it's tube amplifier kit don't anticipate to receive them in less than 1 month for surface shipping. Surface shipping has very poor tracking system.

I got a dispute on paypal because the shipping is too slow. But there's no $50 way to throw 10kg to 5000km away in one week.

Ok, I will do that soon. I am currently experimenting with the resistor's values to get the right gain. In the original configuration (24K resistors) if assuming 0 volume is at 7 o'clock position, just under 9 o'clock position it is already too loud for me!
FYI, I am using ROTEL RB-980BX as the power amplifier.
Sonically it is fantastic, the gain which in my opinion is too much at 10dB is making me losing 'proper' volume control.
How much lower resistance can I use? Right now I am at 10K, slightly better but I want to cut down further, possible to use 2k or 3K?
Thanks .

what is your sound source? you may not need a preamp if using CD as source. Usually CD has 1.5Vp-p, high enough for most power amplifier. If you are using low level digital players (such as ipod) the preamplifier is usful.

You may reduce the feedback to 5.1k or even lower, until you get the comfortable gain. lower value is no harm to the performance.

Yes, that may be the reason as I an using a CDP.
I somehow found the sweet spot at 1.5K, since the CDP is my main source I shall stick to this for the time being.. have not tried other sources like tape deck, minidisc deck and a turntable(with separate phono preamp).
Thanks for the responses. Will upload few pics of the built.
Right now need to enjoy the music ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.