Anything wrong with listening in a room that's too big?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The more closely spaced low frequency room modes generally give a smoother overall bass response in a larger room and the reflections, if adequately absorbed or diffused, probably will complement most music better than in a smaller room.

OTOH, you may wind up feeling you need need more speaker/amp for realistic levels compared to a smaller room.

large rooms

my listening room is 4M X 6M with one end mostly open to the kit (4 X 4M).
I face the long wall and listen in the near field@ my desk, The front wall starting 18" down from the ceiling is covered by wool berber carpeting 2M high X 6 M long. the carpet is set out from the wall 2" on a firing strip at the top, and is free hanging, and clears the floor by 2 inches> it covers the big window which faces west, a big problem in the setting sun on days its 120 deg outside in sunny arizona!!
Counting the volume of the window offset , the carpet forms a bass trap of 25 '3 and only takes 2" out of the room! Since im in the nearfield of the Jordans(45") the subs (Sealed) are also 45" from my ears one on each side of my chair, so they are time aligned to the sats:) Under these conditions , the room effects practually vanish! The music is extremely "you are there" not "they are here" The venue ambiance is almost fully recovered with no interferance from the room The subs pressurize my body not the room , altho at higher volumes they do that too . On heavy pipe organ , the vast volume of the venue is recovered (along with the sound of the blowers! :) just as tho you were sitting there. Here is an example of not sitting far from the speakers (no need) as the distance to the performers is determined by the venue and recording . I had the same seat at the St. Louis Symphoney for 18 years and I know the sound of that venue. On CDs from them the expierience is erie in its reality . Its as tho i was suddenly back in St Louis , Perish the thought!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.