room treatment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody made their own room treatment panels (or other types of sound absorption items?) My listening room is also a bedroom, and is about 200 square feet. The walls are entirely made of plaster, and on one wall the ceiling slopes to a degree. Also, the ceiling is made of drywall. Is there an easy way to eliminate the echo in this room, and improve the high frequency response? A friend played my speakers in his room which is 8' X 10' (80sqft) and all drywall, and they sounded far better in his room.. which of course means this room needs some help! Thanks

Meh, this room is about 11x12'... sounds fine with these old Magnavox cabs (vintage 1959)... then again a sweep I did with a mic and recording program didn't look too nice, and the occasional song has a really fricking annoying bass line, so I guess it's all crap after all.

Um, the best solution would probably be something like... uh Idunno, a lot of soft stuff... got any spare matresses? (Preferably that DON'T smell unusual :bigeyes: :p )

Tim

improving room acoustics/moving speakers around

no, i don't have any extra matresses lol.. and even if i did, that might look kind of strange don't you think? :D I was considering trying to emulate some of those square sound absorption panels you see in a lot of professional recording studios, and in many high end audio stores too.. The frame would be a standard frame made out of pine, and then covered with some kind of sound absorbing material..

Ebay, to start (where else?) I just did a quick search and there were several for sale. You can also buy the material at many fabric stores if you have a way to sew up some curtains. Also www.lightingbroker.com might have some. They are a huge used and consignment theatrical lighting source. Most theaters just hold on to thier old curtains when they are replaced, so a civic center or performing arts center might be good places to check with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.