Help me decide on room treaments.

Hey guys!

So i finished making my K-402 MEH in wood and brought them in a large room.

There is only A TV desk, speakers, a sofa and that's it.

This is how the room currently look like:

attachment.php

The RT60 times a very huge:

attachment.php

Since this a huge horn with directivity control down to 100Hz, i figured i don't really need much of 'first reflection' treatments. What i need is to treat walls near the edges of the horn and somehow reduce the reverberation time of the room.

I will be placing QRD diffusers on the ceiling covering 3 meters between listening position. To cover half of the space i will need about 13 of them.

This will be made out of high density XPS, painted and look like this:

attachment.php

Will place a rug on the floor between the sofa and listening position.

And on the side walls near the sofa i am thinking of placing Leanfractal diffusers. 3 pieces on each side wall.

Leanfractals on the front and side walls will look like this:

attachment.php

Oh, and 5 diffusers on the back wall with some furniture:

attachment.php

Will it be enough to deal with excessive reverberation? Or do i need more absorption rather then diffusion?

Attachments

• tank 1.png
    tank 1.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 649
  • tank 2.png
    tank 2.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 632
  • tank rt.jpg
    tank rt.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 652
  • QRD XPS.jpg
    QRD XPS.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 626
  • tank 3.png
    tank 3.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 623
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
To lower RT you'll need absorption. Diffusion won't hurt ( quite the opposite) and maybe it'll be enough to make the room sound good to you despite an high RT.

But if you need to lower RT i see only two way: either absorbption either some 'hangers' ( but you usually need high ceiling for them).

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Kipman725,
Ime superchunk is ok on low ( around 100hz and a bit less) but they do almost nothing lower in freq ( at least for the one in the room i've implemented them).

I agree these is a very nice room.

Stabme what is ceiling height?

If i was in need to lower reverberation time i would implement an absorbent ceiling: something like rockwool tiles ( rockfon) with 100mm rockwool right over them and a plenum ( free space) of 100mm too with a bit of space ( something like 10mm all around the walls).

It should be effective as a wideband absorber ( when i built control rooms it was the standard practice for ceiling for the acoustician i worked with). You could implement diffuser of same dimension that the tiles too a little in front and above ( if you need them) like this one ( other finition exist) : RT60 - Diffuseur acoustique transparent

Last edited:
Following this thread, what would you do to get max absorbtion between 50-100hz?

Manu

Hi Kipman725,
Ime superchunk is ok on low ( around 100hz and a bit less) but they do almost nothing lower in freq ( at least for the one in the room i've implemented them).

If i was in need to lower reverberation time i would implement an absorbent ceiling: something like rockwool tiles ( rockfon) with 100mm rockwool right over them and a plenum ( free space) of 100mm too with a bit of space ( something like 10mm all around the walls).

It should be effective as a wideband absorber ( when i built control rooms it was the standard practice for ceiling for the acoustician i worked with). You could implement diffuser of same dimension that the tiles too a little in front and above ( if you need them) like this one ( other finition exist) : RT60 - Diffuseur acoustique transparent

Hi Kipman725,

I have 4 of them in our house, but they are super ugly. The rear corners are occupied by the furniture and front corners are not an option because i am using large MEH horns and i like to corner load them.

A nice one, indeed - thank you! Only very boomy at this time. BTW, i feel that I have become very adapted to the RT in this room. Ceiling height is 3 meters (9.84ft).

Sounds like an option, yes. I will try the XPS diffusers first - they will be ready in about a week or so.

Yes, read about it and thought about it. There is a good study by Fazenda who compared sifferent sub setups and found that source-sink setup (DBA, basically) was most preferred by listeners.

I have full range 2-way speakers located in corners. These are K-402 horn based multiple entry horns. They can be seen on the original post in this thread. They go down to about 25-30Hz. So sub-band is kinda covered in the front of the room. So i could start by adding two inverted and time aligned subwoofers on the rear of the room and see if that makes a good difference.

Installed diffusers on the ceiling:

attachment.php

The area is 3 by 3 meters, 9sq/m total. 13 pieces are 2D, which, according to QRDude, will diffuse between 600-2100Hz. Other 12 pieces are 1D diffusers which work at around 2200- 6800Hz.

Hope that mixing 1D and 2D diffusers is not a big problem.

Attachments

• Diffusers on the ceiling.jpg
    Diffusers on the ceiling.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 450