How do you align acoustic panels with the first-reflection point?

My method is to use a mirror to identify the first reflection point, then generally center the acoustic panel on that point. My speakers are ~19" from the wall, so there is overlap between the panel and the speaker.

Would you place the acoustic panels on the forward side of the first reflection point? Am I "waisting" material that's behind the actual reflection point/behind the speaker?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ok so the exact location isn't really important and you ( probably*) won't waist anything if the panel is 'shaded' by your loudspeaker.

* probably as it'll depend of the kind of directivity of your loudspeakers @500hz but there is chance it'll already be wide enough to need absorbtion there.

Edit: the location of acoustic treatment have no need to be exact/accurate to millimeters, but you must still be in the ~ location. It's better to cover wider area than not enough so... go for other panel if you can.

An other thing: lateral reflections can be bothersome ( or not! Depends of your preference as they can bring feeling of envelopment) but the one which will be bothersome come from your ceilling. If you can this are the one to treat first ime.

Last edited:
One thing to to keep in mind is what width that panel has. Is it sufficient (?) if it is only the common 2 feet / 0,6 m wide, it will not be doing much versus lower frequencies. 50% absorbtion would be a difference of 3 dB, to narrow width will give less down to useless panel.

200 Hz gives wave length 1,7 m / 5,6 feet => 1 pcs 0,6 m panel covers only about 1/3 wave length. 500 Hz gives wave length 0,69 m / 2,3 feet.

As the reflection point on a side wall varies for seat A and seat B, one would also need a wider panel for 2 or several people. Even for higher frequencies, the panel should to be wider than the calculated wave length, -as the incoming sound wave for side walls is coming in at an oblique angle it covers a wider wall area than its wave length in meters.

Last edited: