Wall hanging behind the couch

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Our lounge room is our listening room and has a few of the normal problems associated with small rooms that are square.
Room is 4 * 4 and 2.7 high.
I'd like to put something on the wall to help a bit with HF bounce and I need to have some convincing arguments when having the discussion with SWMBO.
I was thinking of a single layer of something very heavy like 40kg felt or double thickness carpet but The Boss may prefer something diaphanous. Is a double layer with the LW net on the front coupled with something more solid closer to the wall more effective?
My beloved is highly resistant to me going back to hanging old woollen blankets.
On that note how effective are floor rugs as wall hangings?
The wall hanging would be about the size of a medium sized rug, say about 1500/1800 * 2700 / 3200mm
No need for it to hang lower than the back of the lounge or the chairs IMO

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Do those disruptive panels work with tube offcuts or does each little hollow section act as mini Helmholtz resonators and make thing s worse?
I have a lot of thick cardboard tubes in the shed and a mate with a very fast, very sharp drop saw. Would a plywood panel with various sized holes in it but backed with Acoustastuff do the same thing?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
perhaps something like this?

Attachments

• 63a9334a7bfb50a42490c2212c22be5b.jpg
    63a9334a7bfb50a42490c2212c22be5b.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 225
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Diffusion is good for back walls but maybe not so much if your couch is against the wall. The vertiface seems to be advised for decorating the surface of acoustic treatments. A little thickness behind it may be needed. One of the easiest options may be ruffled drapes.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Thanks for posting the links; I didn't know they even existed! Pretty cool-looking IMHO, though the list o' admonitions is a bit comical:
Do not wash.
Do not bleach.
Do not tumble dry.
Do not iron.
Do not dryclean.
I'm sure the package contains a pack of silica gel emblazoned with the warning "Do not eat". :clown:

On the serious side, there are a lot of good ideas here. My main listening area presents a "challenging" listening environment, to say the least.

Use whatever absorber you think may work best, regardless of appearances, and then hang some drapes (chosen by your wife) to conceal the absorbers.
This design can appear to look like a large window or doorway that is not used, with drapes shut all the time.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I've just mentioned this idea to The Boss. She is slightly resistant to adding another $1000- to the new curtain install. Acoustic curtains from The Big Swedish Store for the big picture window are only $200- but don't match her aesthetic
? $2200- for decorative curtains I simply don't understand??