Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

quarter wave  bass trap useage?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2021, 03:05 PM   #1
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default quarter wave bass trap useage?

I have installed bookshelfs with empty space in the corner (IKEA Billy). I have room for some absobers of some kind. From the corner out to the back of the bookshelf set at 45 degree angle from the walls there is about 35 cm distance. There is room for both some fibrous damping material and 25 cm/10" pipes.

The easy way out would be to stuff the whole compartment with some fiber material. An other would be to utilize a part of the space for quarter wave traps. Is that useful for say the 100-150 Hz range? If so should the open ends be placed near the corners (pressure maxima) or away from the (higher velocity)?
Old 21st July 2021, 08:12 AM   #2
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Using about that much fibrous absorptive material is going to have only a very small effect on bass. While I don't have any useful data to show here it does seem reasonable that tuned absorbers could make more efficient use of the space. An active absorber would be another that makes more efficient use of the space than damping material would.

quarter wave  bass trap useage?Hide this!Advertise here!