Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

EQing sharp, shrill and piercing speakers.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2021, 10:41 PM   #11
bypassrestrictions is online now bypassrestrictions  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I've tried EQing but has no reduction in sharpness untill I turn below 12dB,

Are you sure that they are not clipping?

Pretty sure it is not clipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergeeknz View Post
Are you using them with other than the built in amplifier?

I'm using them as they are, I haven't added any other amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasnu View Post
Boost high Q EQ and sweep to hear which frequency range is causing annoyance the most, then reduce that range. I doubt it's above 5K.

It is definitely between lower midrange and lower treble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasnu View Post
Or broadband 1K shelf boosting low frequency (tilt) may work.

I'll try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivium View Post
Hi,
About frequency and 'tuning'of loudspeakers here is something that could be of help:

Google Image Result

You have choice of freq and action to perform for a same result: sometimes boosting a range can have same effect as cuting another one.
Overall i find cut less objectionable than boost ( we are less sensitive to cut) and you'll gain headroom ( margin before distortion).

Thanks for that informative image, I searched for frequency classification chart and I didn't such a detailed image, what search query did you use to find that image?
Old 4th June 2021, 10:47 PM   #12
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bypassrestrictions View Post
I don't know how the speaker system is configured but the some of the sharpness was taken away by reducing 390Hz to 690Hz.

I'll try what you suggested.
Sometimes a band sounds loud because it is, and sometimes because it is not supported from below. You want to find which (or part of each). Also this is a known trouble region.
Old 5th June 2021, 06:11 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

The bass dialler on the sub-woofer was dialled down, could it have caused this, but it should only effect the bass right? Why did 390Hz to 690Hz have an effect on it?

I dialled the bass down and forgot about it, because the bass was highly resonant at some frequencies.
Old 5th June 2021, 09:23 AM   #14
ubergeeknz is offline ubergeeknz  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Reduced bass will accentuate the high frequencies. Especially in this kind of satellite setup where the main speakers probably drop off well short of 80Hz
Old 5th June 2021, 05:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergeeknz View Post
Reduced bass will accentuate the high frequencies. Especially in this kind of satellite setup where the main speakers probably drop off well short of 80Hz

You mean to say the perception will be like that or the DSP boosts those high frequencies? In my opinion only bass should have been effected leaving the rest alone.
Old 5th June 2021, 08:44 PM   #16
ubergeeknz is offline ubergeeknz  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Perception. But it's a Bose, so no doubt the DSP is doing most of the heavy lifting.
Old 6th June 2021, 04:20 PM   #17
markbakk is offline markbakk  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It’s probably the setup with near boundaries that are acoustically very reflective. The reflections of the boundaries add a lot of coloration and they will stay, no matter how
much you EQ.
Old 7th June 2021, 11:52 AM   #18
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bypassrestrictions View Post
Thanks for that informative image, I searched for frequency classification chart and I didn't such a detailed image, what search query did you use to find that image?
Hi, this kind of scale is most used by audio engineers ( for eq range choice) so it usually come from pro field.
If you are interested into sound basis theory check for online audio engineering curse or webzine ( mix magazine), it usually come to the point (of interest) in a practical way ( not all sound engineers are physicians and schematical view as this scale are easily understood by anyone interested).

Could you describe a bit more your set up ( maybe including pictures)? I think Markbakk may be right.
Old 7th June 2021, 12:27 PM   #19
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

in case it is of any help.....

I’ve experienced shouty speaker drivers that could not be fixed and I sold them off. I tried different amplifiers, different rooms and even cone treatments (cure worse than disease and still not effective enough). For the first few weeks I thought the drivers were great but slowly at first I realized there was a stridency underlying their clarity until eventually I couldn’t stand them, even at lower volumes my brain knew what to listen for. There was no fixing it with mild (the only practical kind) EQ because in the case of full range drivers it was an issue with resonant modes of the driver and such nasties are excited relatively easily or through harmonics. In the case of my PMC FB1 2-way it is only an issue at high volumes, it is the nature of their metal dome tweeters and they maybe crossed over too low leading to distortions. I have moved them for HT use only but one day I’ll fix the problem for music use with better cross overs and new tweeters. I don’t know if this is relevant but just in case it is, you may need new speakers.

Amplifiers and / a source can also sound strident. For amplifiers this has been an issue mostly with my own DIY amps so I won’t expand on that.

For sources, it’s been new DAC’s & network players that have most often produced problems, indeed I have yet to find one that I can live with but interestingly I’ve had no issues with older models of CD players like YBA and Marantz. Sometimes an FM station can be edgy but generally fine and no issues with my turntable + phono.

Lastly, it could be your ears. I used a signal generator to map out my ears, there are frequencies that my ears consistently find to be strident and annoying. For me it is a bit at 2kHz and a lot at 5kHz and more-so at 9kHz. Just these three (mostly the last two) that I’d like to filter out specifically. It’s called hyperacusis and comes from damaging my ears through loud music.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 7th June 2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10th June 2021, 03:56 PM   #20
Just Dave is offline Just Dave  United States
diyAudio Member

To the OP, this isn't complicated, you're just making it complicated by not doing simple measurements.
  Reply to this post

EQing sharp, shrill and piercing speakers.Hide this!Advertise here!