Novice questions to bass traps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

Not sure if my questions are advanced or quite novice, but:

1. Let's say I placed one audio system in a definitive way. Afterwards of course I've located places in the room where the amplitude of some low frequencies is high. As far as I've read, this is where I should place bass traps for these frequencies.

2. But what if I decide to have a second system placed somewhere else in the room? Will the previous "hot spots" for treatment will be the same, or shift?

3. How should be the a bass trap placed if the hot spot is located at the corner of a tilted roof (vaulted ceiling)?

Best regards!

Hello 50AE,

I hope that you are well and safe. I have been experimenting for a while with bass management in my listening room. I say to myself; why am I dumping "excessive" bass energy in the room and then experimenting with various ways to dimish its amplitude and frequency?

The usual suspects are subwoofers, powerful amps with a frequency response down to 20Hz, and ditto for the main loudspeakers.

Nowadays, I pivot to using a power amp with a limited low frequency response. Essentially to rebalance the clarity of the remaining audio.

Best wishes
Anton

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
where the amplitude of some low frequencies is high. As far as I've read, this is where I should place bass traps
This depends on the type of trap.
a second system placed somewhere else in the room? Will the previous "hot spots" for treatment will be the same, or shift?
Yes, but not necessarily in the same order.

Two systems at the same time or separately?

The air pressure variations of the (problematic) room modes are highest in the corners of your room. Bass traps that function on resonator principles work best at these spots. However, a lot of us found that even several cubic feet of mineral wool placed in corners actually do work. While from theory you'd expect that this kind of absorbing sound best works at spots with high air velocity, being far away from boundaries, practical solutions often turn out otherwise.

A second sub (or several subs) paves the way to multisub bass management. That, by most insiders, is regarded as the most effective cure, the best implementations even reducing the need for passive bass traps to zero.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
^ good link and reasonnable advice from the link.
Thank you Joel Wesseling.
His guide is very nice too and worth a read ( there is some principle known to work (in pro field) which are poorly documented though. Eg: Hidley's hangers. But it won't be implemented at home anyway so not a big deal, i doesn't agree with all eg VPR i've met was less sensible to placement than what is told. That said, it could have been some particularity of the particulars models i've heard - combination of other principle with it ( mixed with other principles)).

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Not sure if my questions are advanced or quite novice, but:

1. Let's say I placed one audio system in a definitive way. Afterwards of course I've located places in the room where the amplitude of some low frequencies is high. As far as I've read, this is where I should place bass traps for these frequencies.

2. But what if I decide to have a second system placed somewhere else in the room? Will the previous "hot spots" for treatment will be the same, or shift?

3. How should be the a bass trap placed if the hot spot is located at the corner of a tilted roof (vaulted ceiling)?

Best regards!

Bass traps are needed to combat low-quality bass sound that collects in the triangular corners, which means that the best solution is to place them in all corners regardless of the location of your speakers. The location of the second speaker system will affect the sound distribution not only in the low-frequency range, but also in the whole room. First of all, there must be a correct positioning of the speaker system in accordance with certain standards, for what purposes are you using your acoustics?

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've had second systems and third systems at different locations in the same treated room. I had 4 traps in each corner and all of the ceiling corners had treatments. The room bass response had no appreciable difference from all stereo locations. Any room needs a large amount of bass absorption.

I would think a corner just below a vaulted ceiling would be the last place to be considered for bass absorption, similar to a corner near an opening to another room but that corner be treated as well if all other areas have been dealt with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.