Infinity RS 1b positioning and room akustics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey There everyone and greetings from Germany,

first for all if this is the wrong section please set my thread to the right one.

My name is Michael,I am 37 Years old and since 10 years a proud owner of a pair of beautiful Infinity RS 1b Speakers. At the moment the play in a 25 m2 Living room and sounds amazing.
Now my Wife and me plan to buy our first own apartment and my Wife banned me and my Hifi stuff out of the living room:Ouch:. After hours of discussion I won and will get my first own pure music room. So far so good, to close the gap between that what we like to have and what we are able to afford this music room will be quite small depending on the German way to build apartments. I think I will end up in a room with 4x3,5m maybe ab bit more or less.

Now I have the mission impossible to fit these large speakers in this small room. The best way would be to get better fitting speakers but this damn infinity virus wount let me go and I won't let go my dream either.

The last days I read many pages here in this forum and as far as I know now when it comes to put on Dipol in small rooms, room treatment is necessary. Absorbing or diffusing is the way to go. But how exactly? Bass is not that problem in my room I can work with bass traps and or dsp to manage that. More interesting is how to handle the reflections bouncing back from the walls.

On which wall should the speakers be placed? The short one with less space between then but more space behind them? Or better the long one brider but not so deep soundstage Cause the near wall positioning?

Where should absorbers and or diffusers placed behind the RS 1 wings? Should the point of first reflection at the sidewalls be absorbed or diffused?

Guys u see a lot of questions and work comming to me to get my beloved Infinitys.

I thank u all for it time reading this and I hope my English is not that bad ;).

Best regards Michael

Hi Michael,

Not sure I am the best qualified to answer that one as my Infinitys (Ren 90) are very different from yours and the last time I heard RS1b was decades ago. Plus my guess is it is difficult to answer your questions without measurements and more precisions and listening impressions. But anyway, here we go, for whatever it is worth...

In a general manner, and even more so in smaller listening rooms, I would tend to favour the LS - listener axis to be in the longest dimensions. In your case 4m. Reason being that full range LS do usualy need some listener distance to sound good, plus you may need some extra distance adjustement behind the LS. My guess is 3.5m will just be enough to adjust your speakers lateraly, perhaps slightly angling them towards you. OK, it is going to be a1-2 person(s) optimal listening position given the small room, but that's quite obvious.

Regarding room treatment, rear wall etc. I would say WAIT, install your speakers roughly and see how it goes. From there on you whall be able to see a direction, but without trying even with softwares it is not easy to foresee what may happen, except perhaps in the below 200Hz region.

As a general rule, I found that bookselves all over a rear wall (or all walls in small rooms) could often help,. Provided you like reading and have books, easy and cheap enough to try. Some damping between your head and the rear wall may be needed, as given the room dimensions you are likely to sit close to the rear wall.

Again, to find more out I would advise you try first, as even doors and windows can play a significant role and even more so in such a small room. And anyway, my guess is you aren't going to pick up your apartment by the small listening room alone (LOL), so you will have to make do in situ anyway.

I had a similar problem to you when moving from my flat to a larger one but with the HIFI in s similar small room: it is somewhat a compromise (listening at higher levels tend to be too much for the room), but one can definitely make it work OK. Don't give up :)

MFG

Claude

Hey There everyone and greetings from Germany,

first for all if this is the wrong section please set my thread to the right one.

My name is Michael,I am 37 Years old and since 10 years a proud owner of a pair of beautiful Infinity RS 1b Speakers. At the moment the play in a 25 m2 Living room and sounds amazing.
Now my Wife and me plan to buy our first own apartment and my Wife banned me and my Hifi stuff out of the living room:Ouch:. After hours of discussion I won and will get my first own pure music room. So far so good, to close the gap between that what we like to have and what we are able to afford this music room will be quite small depending on the German way to build apartments. I think I will end up in a room with 4x3,5m maybe ab bit more or less.

Now I have the mission impossible to fit these large speakers in this small room. The best way would be to get better fitting speakers but this damn infinity virus wount let me go and I won't let go my dream either.

The last days I read many pages here in this forum and as far as I know now when it comes to put on Dipol in small rooms, room treatment is necessary. Absorbing or diffusing is the way to go. But how exactly? Bass is not that problem in my room I can work with bass traps and or dsp to manage that. More interesting is how to handle the reflections bouncing back from the walls.

On which wall should the speakers be placed? The short one with less space between then but more space behind them? Or better the long one brider but not so deep soundstage Cause the near wall positioning?

Where should absorbers and or diffusers placed behind the RS 1 wings? Should the point of first reflection at the sidewalls be absorbed or diffused?

Guys u see a lot of questions and work comming to me to get my beloved Infinitys.

I thank u all for it time reading this and I hope my English is not that bad ;).

Best regards Michael

great great and beautiful loudspeakers and a worthy challenge

But on to the matter ...well ...because - as goes the saying - "the devil is in the details" please post the layout of your future room - where are the windows, the doors etc.

But let me encourage You - the mission is not at all an impossible one.

Even without the details I can give You some general advice:

- put an open, thick curtain fronted wardrobe along one of the shorter walls, the whole wall. This can be Your front wall or back wall, in a sort of LEDE room arrangement - experiment to find out what You like more.

Such a wardrobe full of clothes and similar stuff, over a half meter in depth, fronted with thick curtains is a powerfull broadband absorber, more effective than any commercial absorber one can buy

- it is generally more effective to redirect first reflections than to absorb/diffuse them - therefore place the main RS1b modules just next to the side walls, touching them, but at such an angle so that the reflection off the wall is redirected towards the wall behind You

- put the bass modules in the space behind You - keep the distance to Your listening seat equal to the distance from the main modules to Your listening seat (to maintain the time coherence) - experiment with the exact position of the modules to find out the one with the best bass response

- experiment with the exact position of the listening seat with regard to the length of the room - generally the best place is around 2/3 of the room length. Do not be afraid of wider listening angles - the best stereo triangle in practice is not always the equilateral

- fight for a bigger room :D armed with an argument that Your wife can have additional wardrobe space there ;)

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I didn't buy a pair of RS1bs when offered them for the very reason that I knew I'd never get a room big enough to do them justice, but they are superb speakers and I still slightly regret my decision.

Then Again Harry Pearson squeezed IRS Vs into a small listening room. the main speakers were almost touching in the middle.

Hey Guys,

thanks alot for ur advise :) I am looking for help and Infos in generally. As u mentioned befor als long as I don't have the exact data about my new room this will be hard to get specific advice.

@graaf ur Tip of the open Wardrobe would be a nice Idea to fight for a bigger room :D

What I can tell u Guys is the situation in my Living room atm cause I think this setup is a good starting point even the room will be smaller in future. I measured my room yesterday and it's about 20m2 not 25 it is 4x4.8m and 2.43m high. The speakers are placed in front of the upper short wall, from there on the right longer wall is a huge 2m window with heavy moloton curtain in front of them. In the lower left Corner there are 2 Doors one on the short one an the longer wall.

The RS1 Wings are put 1.1m away from the back wall and 0.8m from the side walls. The bass Towers are places in the corners behind the wings so that the bass is good on my listening position. Comming to this point my listening position is dependent to the living room a big sofa next to the back wall but my head has around 0.4m space to se Wall when sitting there.

At the moment I have no big problems with room modes except the one at 110hz. I hear most time to rock and metal music from the mid 80s to now. 80% of them are really flat recorded that the deeper rooms modes are welcome to me personal taste.

I attached some pictures for u to make it owne look of the room itself.

Guys thanks for your help.

Greetings Michael

Attachments

• IMG_20210117_112004.jpg
    IMG_20210117_112004.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20210124_161118.jpg
    IMG_20210124_161118.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20210124_160737.jpg
    IMG_20210124_160737.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20210124_160716.jpg
    IMG_20210124_160716.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 96
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.