Multiple setup for a wide room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have a room which is approximately 7x4m, where I watch TV, listen music on my couch which is on one half of the room, or listen music in background while working at my table which is on the other half. In all three cases I'm facing the long side of the room, but pointing towards different points.

I was thinking to place 3 speakers on the long wall so I would use the left and middle one as left/right when listening on the couch, middle and right when listening on the table, and left and right (maybe with some contribution from the middle one) when watching TV.

I also would like to build myself the speakers as two ways using an active crossover. I could use DCX2496 as active crossover and room compensation using three setups for the different listening points.

What do you think about it? Is it a good or a terrible idea?

It all depends on your goals, quality wise. I for myself never found an asymmetric setup convincing. Okay for casual enjoyment but not for serious stereo listening.

Have you thought about a setup with multisub low approach and pairs of small satellites that are relatively close to your seat?

Thank you markbakk,

I'll draw an "ascii art" sketch of the room:

+-----------..-+
|A....TB......C|
|..............|
|..........2...|
|...1..........|
+--------------+

Usually I listen music and watch TV from place 1, while I work on place 2. The TV is placed in "T" and I cannot move it due to furniture constraints.

Sitting in 1 and listening and setting A and B as left and right I would have a reasonably balanced stereo, same as when listening from 2 and using B&C as left and right. For the TV I would be forced to use B as a center speaker.

What is the advantage of multi sub? Isn't the low frequency source not detectable?

By the way, I'm tempted to use an ADAU1701 board instead of the Behringer DSP, it looks to me a modular solution (and I'm a diy fan).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.