Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Quick fixes to this room?
Quick fixes to this room?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2020, 08:29 AM   #1
rossi is offline rossi  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Quick fixes to this room?

In my new house, the living room + kitchen is in 1 volume.
(Panorama pic taken from dividing line).
It's tiled, apart from a rug at the TV area. There's also a rug on order for under the diner table.

There's terrible echoing just while talking normally, and audio listening is not very enjoyable.

What could I do to improve this, without drastically altering the visuals?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th November 2020, 08:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've found this Dutch company which can make acoustic panels (acoustic felt, but I don't know how good though) with your own pictures. Perhaps the right sidewall could have a couple of those.
Foto op Akoestisch Vilt - Een Duurzame Fotopaneel voor aan de Wand!
Old 28th November 2020, 04:12 PM   #3
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
Overly Enthusiastic
diyAudio Member

Quick fixes to this room? Send a message via MSN to kipman725
suspended acoustic panels from the ceiling? will change the aesthetics a bit but you can at least make them a feature.

You can boost the effectiveness of your rugs by attaching foam carpet underlay to the underside of them to make them thicker.
Old 28th November 2020, 04:59 PM   #4
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

More rugs, especially wool. Perhaps they could match the floor and not be too noticeable.
Where are the speakers, or is it just the TV?

Last edited by rayma; 28th November 2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 28th November 2020, 10:01 PM   #5
duplex is offline duplex  Germany
diyAudio Member

My room also is a bit ... umm ... special. Many windows, just like yours, and a hardwood floor instead of tiles.

A heavy woolen carpet between speakers and seats helped to some extent - just a first step, though.

Then I analyzed room nodes using Room EQ Wizard and a measuring microphone (less than 50 Euros). Using a Daphile server as my main audio source, I generated full range FIR filters based on several measurements for left and right channel separately, which I imported into Daphile. This solved most problems caused by room asymmetry and first order reflections on the windows.

If you're going this way, consider several hours / days of trial and error. Bass nodes are easy, full range is tricky. But it can help if you won't install a large number of absorbers and / or diffusors.

Anyway, I still consider to install at least broadband absorbers of maybe 1 - 2 sqare meters behind my main listening place. You cannot fix all problems regarding room acoustics by electronic filters.

Last edited by duplex; 28th November 2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typing error
Old 30th November 2020, 02:54 PM   #6
markbakk is offline markbakk  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

These panels are somewhat affordable, available in white and grey and do a good job from 250Hz and upwards. They work a lot better than any rug and don't mess up your interior too much. Although you'll need more than ten of them easily. I would start with assemblies of 2x2 or 3x3 white panels on the ceiling, starting in the living area. The panels actually do work a lot better when suspended with an air gap of about 5-10cm from the ceiling. But that might be too obtrusive.

Consider using these at the walls too. Vertical arrangements of 4 panels in grey or white would blend in I guess. And if you look around on that site you'll find cheaper options too (the basic Flamex panels do fine too).
Old 1st December 2020, 09:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone!

I'll try to put underlay under the rugs, I'll get some custom picture panels made for the walls, and I'll try the Flamex for the ceiling.
If that doesn't make a big improvement, I'll look at suspended panels and room EQ.
Old 1st December 2020, 11:05 AM   #8
synonymous is offline synonymous  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to synonymous
Possibly some curtains for the windows.
If you can do something heavy and multiple layers... You can close them while listening or movie time, and open them under normal activity.
  Reply to this post

Quick fixes to this room?Hide this!Advertise here!