Quick fixes to this room?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my new house, the living room + kitchen is in 1 volume.
(Panorama pic taken from dividing line).
It's tiled, apart from a rug at the TV area. There's also a rug on order for under the diner table.

There's terrible echoing just while talking normally, and audio listening is not very enjoyable.

What could I do to improve this, without drastically altering the visuals?

hKq6BiD.jpg

My room also is a bit ... umm ... special. Many windows, just like yours, and a hardwood floor instead of tiles.

A heavy woolen carpet between speakers and seats helped to some extent - just a first step, though.

Then I analyzed room nodes using Room EQ Wizard and a measuring microphone (less than 50 Euros). Using a Daphile server as my main audio source, I generated full range FIR filters based on several measurements for left and right channel separately, which I imported into Daphile. This solved most problems caused by room asymmetry and first order reflections on the windows.

If you're going this way, consider several hours / days of trial and error. Bass nodes are easy, full range is tricky. But it can help if you won't install a large number of absorbers and / or diffusors.

Anyway, I still consider to install at least broadband absorbers of maybe 1 - 2 sqare meters behind my main listening place. You cannot fix all problems regarding room acoustics by electronic filters.

Last edited:
These panels are somewhat affordable, available in white and grey and do a good job from 250Hz and upwards. They work a lot better than any rug and don't mess up your interior too much. Although you'll need more than ten of them easily. I would start with assemblies of 2x2 or 3x3 white panels on the ceiling, starting in the living area. The panels actually do work a lot better when suspended with an air gap of about 5-10cm from the ceiling. But that might be too obtrusive.

Consider using these at the walls too. Vertical arrangements of 4 panels in grey or white would blend in I guess. And if you look around on that site you'll find cheaper options too (the basic Flamex panels do fine too).

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone!

I'll try to put underlay under the rugs, I'll get some custom picture panels made for the walls, and I'll try the Flamex for the ceiling.
If that doesn't make a big improvement, I'll look at suspended panels and room EQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.