Fine wood chips instead of dense fibre glass slabs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wood chips/shavings from woodworking machines is easily available in my locality. I would like to ask whether packed woodchips/shavings can serve as echo mufflers like fibre glass slabs? The reason for asking is ease of purchase and price. Please, be aware I am not after making studio for professional use but only a room for music play back without dominant room modes.

My idea is to use carton boxes of medium rigidity, cut them in the shape of prisms, and fill them with woodworking chips compressing the latter with my hands. That way, I should reach a certain density.

What do you think? Room modes are still ruining some music tracks and these tiresome modes seem to be sensitive to air humidity and temperature.

I remember several years ago I wanted some curtain material for my kitchen. Conscious about safety, I asked for a fireproof material. The shop assistant looked at me as if I had asked for something out of this world! I explained the local hospital uses fireproof curtains to separate beds in wards. The shop keeper replied: "But that is because there are laws which bind the hospital to use fireproof curtains!" It was useless trying to explain that in a kitchen environment, a fireproof curtain is a must. The store did not sell such curtains: all were fire-hungry curtains which catch fire at the first opportunity!

In this country, I mean the country which gave me my citizenship, safety comes last, and is very sadly seen, as a burden which increases expenses unnecessarily. It is not a long time ago, I and many other fellow citizens, could see plasterers plastering walls standing on a plank which was fixed on two short 1.25" iron rods driven into the wall. Our membership into the EU has forced these Rambos to invest more and more in safety. Before our membership in the EU, being safety conscious, was considered something to be embarrassed of and the person advocating it a 'puss*'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.